Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I have been considering adopting a dog for a long time now. Now that I have made a move, and I'm all settled in, it's time.

I will be a new owner, but have had a family dog for 13 years (samoyed). I live in Denver, CO and am a frequent runner, snowshoer, hiker, etc. My only problem is I am usually away from home for 11+ hours a day with work 4 days a week.

I am looking for an older medium to large sized dog, rather than a puppy...2-3+ years. I am very interseted in mixes of Chows, Retrievers, and/or Huskies. I feel they would fit my lifestyle well, except for being cooped up during the day. How would these breeds handle this compared to others? I know no dog would absolutely love this, but I feel when I get home their life would be made. I have done research on the breed types I'm intersted in, but looking for some experience.

I have a downstairs neighbor (good friend) with a medium sized dog...we are considering leaving our doors open (internal doors) to let the dogs play throughout the house while we're gone at work sometimes. I will also be taking him and his dog to the shelter to make sure the two will get along before I bring a new stranger in the house.

Anyway...I'm guess I'm just looking for recommendations on breeds for being active in the cold, and recommendations on how to help them handle the longer work day.

Thanks! -Nick

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
What about breaking up the long working days with some doggy daycare? Even if you can't afford the whole day, perhaps you can do just 1/2 days on a few of the days you work.

Don't know about those specific breeds. But most dogs cannot be left alone for 11 hours without a potty break. I also think boredom could result in destructive behavior. And two dogs = twice the destruction.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with perhaps finding a way to break up your work day or perhaps have someone come and let your dogs out for a potty break at least....11 hours is a long time. I haven't had any experience with greyhounds, but, I've heard they are actually pretty laid back dogs that enjoy sleeping a lot during the day but they are still active dogs when you want to be active. Maybe you could look into rescuing one of those? I know there's a lot of retired greyhounds out there....at least there are in a lot of the shelters around here. Good luck to you with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
11 hours is a long time for any breed to be left alone, especially for breeds like the Husky. If you could break that up in the middle of the day, maybe by getting your neighbour to come by and let him out of his crate for a quick potty break and some playtime, I don't foresee any problems. You would probably have to take him for a walk before you leave for work, though.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
We get in a lot of labs, huskies, and mixes of that type during the day (I work at a doggy daycare in Denver), because the owners work all day and don't want to leave their dogs at home for that long. A lab or husky would probably love to run and be active with you, but I'm not sure they'd like being home alone for that long on a regular basis. I think it would be fine if you found something for them to do while you're gone, such as daycare or dog-sitting.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Lab's and Huskies both need a lot of exercise, but if you are commited to doing some heavy exercise before and after work (and perhaps you get have your neighbor or a dog walker stop by an let your dog out mid day for a potty break), I don't see why either of those breeds wouldn't work for you.

Either way, you will be adopting an older shelter dog...I wouldn't think so much as breed, as much as personality. :) You never know what you will find in a shelter, or what mix you will find, so as long as you like the dog and its personality/behavior, then I'd say go for it!

·
Banned
749 Posts
If you cannot get someone during the days when you are working to take your dog out at least twice a day and doggy day care is not an option then you have a choice of really one group.

That group would be Feline. There are many breeds that are in the feline group. Most can be left during the day without any problems. There are no requirements to even walk the feline. They are also very adapt to eliminating in clay that has been finely ground and some even prefer the scented type. You could even adopt 2 felines just make sure that they are spayed and neutered even if the felines will remain inside. A neutered feline is very happy and will not mark if neutered at a young age.

Really young felines are very plentiful during the month of April.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts