Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many places here and around town that outlaw certin dogs. In many housing areas,Pit Bulls,Matiffs of any kind,German Shepards,Doberman Pinchers,Great Danes as well many other dogs they seem fit to tag as "vicious breed".They claim that those dogs are more prone to biting than other breeds.Sure,they'll let you have a Lab,Retriver,and any small dog you want. I've seen more small dogs that are prone to bite before some of the banned dogs on their list.Plus,if you have a dog that is on that list,some insurence companies will raise the premium.Is this right to do so? My town outlaws Pit Bulls.Is this a scare created from what the media puts in the news? I don't get it.:confused:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Of course it's media related, lab's and small dogs are actually more prone to bite then most of the "bad breeds," it's just when a lab or chihuahua bites somebody, they don't put it in the news, but every case with a pitty or GSD it is on the first page, in the news, on the t.v. etc...

There are a lot of threads on this, see if the search functions brings up something, you'll get a good read.

No one really agrees with BSL(Breed specific Legislation)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
It's ad nauseum week on DF!!! *insert laugh here*

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
hey hey, don't take it out on the new members, most just don't think of using the search function lol.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
New people means new perspectives. We are all entitles to our opinions. My opinion is that Breed Bans are useless in preventing dog bites. I think they are unfair to people who are responsible and do not prevent the people who shouldn't have the breeds in the first place (due to being irresponsible) from having the dogs anyway. People who are not law abiding in the first place are not going to suddenly be impressed with a new breed ban.
Now, If they were going to breed ban, I think there are other breeds that should be at the top of the list and many that ARE on the list should not be.
I won't say which ones I think are the problem breeds.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I live in a place that has banned pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans, chow's, and something else...it sucks.
It gives them more ammo to infringe on what little rights we still retain living on the military base...I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
This is the main reason I like living in Fairbanks, no one really cares what kind of dog you have as long as its nice.

Yes there are people here who still believe they are born evil, but most places to live accept them, and just ask if they are friendly and if they make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I'm not taking it out on new members Pepper, I swear. It's just that this thread started RIGHT after the cropping thread, and I appreciated the hilarity xD!

·
Registered
4 Posts
No domestic dog breed in North America is 'vicious'. The breeds that have lives this long have survived because their good tempers. Some dogs were bred to hunt, to fight, and to guard, but they were not bred to be vicious.

Just like with a child, if you raise them with violence (Hitting them, abusing them, and neglecting them) they will most likely grow up to reflect that upbringing, not all will, but most. The same is true with dogs.

I live in Ontario, and it is the only province in Canada where pitbulls are banned from what I know. The one and only reason they are banned, is because of the media. Over the past few decade the news media has tried to sell fear, and it works. People don't want to watch the news and hear about a pitbull who is a well mannered, nice dog, they want to hear about the pitbull who bit the the 10 year old kid. To be able to sell fear, you have to focus on one target (pitbulls, terrorists, the economy). If you say "all dogs are vicious" people will know its a lie, but if you pick a certain breed which has a bad reputation, people will believe you.

In my opinion, the reason pitbulls are known to be vicious is because people buy them for self defense, and poorly train them. They don't buy the dogs as a companion, but as a weapon. Once pitbulls are banned, people switch to the next "vicious dog" like rottweilers . The only way you can avoid bad owners using dogs as weapons, is to ban every breed of dogs, with the exception of chihuahuas.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I totally agree with breed bans. I believe only certain nasty types of people own those nasty horrible evil breeds and the only way to get rid of those nasty horrble evil people is to keep them from having the kind of dogs they want.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
DiGits I mostly agree. Except the part of "with the exception of Chihuahua's" lol If there was ever a breed that could be used as a weapon it is a Chihuahua. I have met several of them that sit on their owners lap and anyone that gets close gets attacked by the Chihuahua. I know what you meant though, they are probably not going to kill anyone due to their small statures.
I agree about the media not wanting to sell the "dangerous breeds" as well mannered, nice dogs. My dogs have been at many many public events. They have had many times when the TV cameras were shooting them in action but most often the amount of film shown on the news or whatnot is soooo small compared to what was shot and more often then not, they are over shadowed by a small breed that was at the same event.
To the media this...

is NOT the Rottweiler that sells papers or gets people interested in a story, but it should.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No domestic dog breed in North America is 'vicious'. The breeds that have lives this long have survived because their good tempers. Some dogs were bred to hunt, to fight, and to guard, but they were not bred to be vicious.

Just like with a child, if you raise them with violence (Hitting them, abusing them, and neglecting them) they will most likely grow up to reflect that upbringing, not all will, but most. The same is true with dogs.

I live in Ontario, and it is the only province in Canada where pitbulls are banned from what I know. The one and only reason they are banned, is because of the media. Over the past few decade the news media has tried to sell fear, and it works. People don't want to watch the news and hear about a pitbull who is a well mannered, nice dog, they want to hear about the pitbull who bit the the 10 year old kid. To be able to sell fear, you have to focus on one target (pitbulls, terrorists, the economy). If you say "all dogs are vicious" people will know its a lie, but if you pick a certain breed which has a bad reputation, people will believe you.

In my opinion, the reason pitbulls are known to be vicious is because people buy them for self defense, and poorly train them. They don't buy the dogs as a companion, but as a weapon. Once pitbulls are banned, people switch to the next "vicious dog" like rottweilers . The only way you can avoid bad owners using dogs as weapons, is to ban every breed of dogs, with the exception of chihuahuas.

I've met a few vicious Chihuahuas :) the only animal I've been bitten by is a cat though

and as a doberman owner I am very much against BSL

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Not at all. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but the breed with the more recorded bites are either the cocker spaniel or the dachshund. Too many breeds are stereotyped because of bad owners.

·
Registered
393 Posts
the breed with the more recorded bites are either the cocker spaniel or the dachshund
What?!? The dachshund I can understand (I've had the bad luck to only meet one nice dachshund in my entire life), but the cocker spaniel? I thought they were good natured family dogs?
I thought it was the lab that had the most recorded bites...
IMO BSL doesn't work because the bad pet owners will have to get rid of their pitbulls, rottweilers, and dobermans, and then they will be free to get new "non-vicious" dogs, and turn them into mean dogs.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
What?!? The dachshund I can understand (I've had the bad luck to only meet one nice dachshund in my entire life), but the cocker spaniel? I thought they were good natured family dogs?
IMO BSL doesn't work because the bad pet owners will have to get rid of their pitbulls, rottweilers, and dobermans, and then they will be free to get new "non-vicious" dogs, and turn them into mean dogs.
I think rage syndrome is most commonly associated with cockers, which probably contributes. Again this is just through my own research so it may not be 100% accurate, but I have read it in several places. I know I talked to my vet to it before and he said he'd rather have a rottie or an apbt before a cocker spaniel or a jack russel as he says he's had the most problem with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cockers can be viscous. Think about it.

A breed gets popular.
There is a demand for this breed.
Puppy peddlers feed this need by breeding substandard dogs with little to no temperament testing.
People purchase these dogs (even breed the dogs themselves.)

Mastiffs are becoming popular again. Watch out.

PB

1 - 20 of 53 Posts