Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
But IS there a problem? Like in the article, it said that Sioux Falls has had 5 dog-related deaths since 1967. Which is one every 9 years, on average. Probably more people have been killed by their La-Z-Boys. And there are 4 currently registered "dangerous dogs". In a city of 150,000 people. I wonder how many other cities that did pass a ban have similar "problems".
I do not know about La-Z-Boys specifically, but in the year 2000, your odds of dying from falls from furniture was 1 in 423,548. Your odds of dying from a dog related incident were 1 in 10,588,692

http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
OK, but what are the requirements to get a license? What exactly makes a universally good pet owner that can be tested and given a license for? What are those 20 questions?
Responsibility generally makes a good pet owner... and accountability.... But just like different written provincial/state driving tests have different questions/answers, so would the pet licence. Things like knowledge of local pet or animal by-laws perhaps (for instance, here law doesn't require a rabies vaccination, but I know in other jurisdictions it does). It doesn't have to be universal around the world, it just has to be applicable to the situation where the pet is living. Anyway, I'd leave that up to the more experienced dog owners as I've only owned one for 4 weeks (just like you wouldn't let at teenager who just started driving make up the test to get a learner's licence).

I'm not talking about things like what to feed it or how to train it, but owners should at least have an idea of how to own a dog in the city (don't let it run into the street!), or what "in control" actually means, at least from a by-law perspective ( E.g. someone's dog running up to me and jumping up on me (friendly or not) when off leash, and requiring its owner to pull the dog away its NOT "in control"), possibly some basic dog behavioural questions (obvious signs of when your dog doesn't like a person or other dog)? Again, I'm not a good judge of what kind of stuff SHOULD be known that a lot of people don't know, and what is essential for keeping your dog, your kids, your neighbors, safe.

Is it feasible? Maybe not. But I wish it was.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I do think cities should be more clear about their dog ordinances. It seems the only time you hear about them is when someone complains about you and the AC officer tells you you're in violation. Maybe a booklet they hand out to new residents or something. But not a test, no. Some people are just plain bad at taking tests, wouldn't be fair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The very mention of breed bans always make me nervous. I own a Amstaff and he is my pride and joy. He's the perfect dog when it comes to people and other animals, and he's just so friendly and affectionate. The thought of losing him makes me feel sick to my stomach. Even my boss at work hates bully like dogs.

I honestly believe that no amount of laws or restrictions will stop idiot owners from getting these dogs. People who own "dangerous" dogs will just keep getting them, breeding them, and then having the dogs taken away, only to get more. Licensing wouldn't help either. Some people own guns without registration, same with cars, so what's to stop them from getting these dogs? All laws and regulations will do is force more police and animal control to spend time scoping out for certain physical traits in a dog, not handling actual aggression.

As someone mentioned already, I believe the key is in educating the public. People need to know what a Pit Bull actually is, not just what the media portrays them as. With the way the news colors dog attacks. Most people can't tell the difference between a boxer, cane corso, akita, or bull dog from a pit. They also don't realize that socialization is key to owning any dog. Someone might pick out a cute puppy, not knowing that it can grow up to bite a stranger, regardless of breed. You can't keep a high energy dog on a chain all it's life, or keep a dog in the house with no human contact aside from family, but some people don't know this.

This isn't a dog problem, it's a human problem. Uneducated pet owners, and people who have no idea what they're looking at are the issue.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I do think cities should be more clear about their dog ordinances. It seems the only time you hear about them is when someone complains about you and the AC officer tells you you're in violation. Maybe a booklet they hand out to new residents or something. But not a test, no. Some people are just plain bad at taking tests, wouldn't be fair.
And yet... a lot of those same people have driver's licences.... ;)

The booklet idea is a great idea. Our city just sends out a letter that links you to the city website, which is useless for by-laws since they're all in PDF form and you have to know the exact wording of what you're looking for to find it. :(

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
And yet... a lot of those same people have driver's licences.... ;)
They do, but, I dunno, you can get a lot of help with DL tests. They practically walk you through it here. And you can take it as many times as you need to. And I don't think the written tests are a very good assessment of driving skills at all. So if the point of a dog owner's test is to assess knowledge and skills, I just don't think it's useful.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts