Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you were bitten while breaking up a dog fight in a public park. Would you report the bite? What if it required medical attention?

My dog was attacked by a little white dog this weekend and I (carelessly, I admit) reached in to protect my dog and stop the attack and was bitten by the other dog on the forearm. The other owner was horribly upset (the dog was a rescue and this was her first off-leash encounter with other dogs) and I reassured her that I was the one who took a risk by reaching into a dogfight so I accept all responsibility for what happened. On the other hand, she did not do ANYTHING to get her dog off of my dog, she just stood there and screamed which didn't help anything. The owner did call me today to see if I was okay and we talked about aggression and reactivity quite a bit. I gave her some resources to check out and she said she's not taking the dog back to the park until she meets with a trainer, so I don't think she is going to ignore this and hope it doesn't happen again. I think if the owner got defensive or rude, I may have handled the situation differently.

Many other dog owners say they would have taken the dog's license number and reported the dog to animal control. I did get the bite checked by my GP and she did have to report it to the health department, however no identifying information about the owner was requested (she did give me her information.) While I am not looking for reassurance that I did the right thing, I am curious as to what you would do in a similar situation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since she does seem very remorseful and concerned about your/you dog's welfare, in this situation, I probably would not report it. It also looks like she understands her dog may have some issues and is looking to resolve it. Take into consideration that a lot of owners don't know what to do in the event of a dog fight, and are often advised to abstain from getting physically involved. I would not hesitant to get involved for the sake my dog, but I don't necessarily fault others for not doing to same.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
In that exact situation I wouldn't report it. Because honestly if I stick my arm in the middle of a dogfight and get bitten, I would question whether I was truly the intended target or not. There certainly are situations where I would report a bite, though.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
IF you go to the doctor they are required to report the bite......

That being said......

Allegedly a doctor cannot prove you did not get tangled up with barbed wire versus an animal bite.

Ironically... The treatment for an injury from barbed wire is the same as for an animal bite.

Just saying.....

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

That being said......

Allegedly a doctor cannot prove you did not get tangled up with barbed wire versus an animal bite.

Ironically... The treatment for an injury from barbed wire is the same as for an animal bite.

Just saying.....
Why, this would have been helpful to know when Jonas had bitten me. Rather than my approach, sob while holding out his vet records to the doctor and begging not to report it. Though I am sure they would have wondered why my face got in a fight with barbed wire.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I wouldn't have reported it in this case. It was likely a case of redirection, and if your dog wasn't harmed either...

If the dog had torn my dog up, definitely. But not because I got bit.

The hospital is always required to report it, but if you don't report it directly to A/C and they don't have her information, they won't do anything about it.

That being said......

Just saying.....
I love this advice. Every since my bite last year, it's been a very useful bit of information that I've gotten from you that's stuck very well and proven useful on a few occasions. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Let's say you were bitten while breaking up a dog fight in a public park. Would you report the bite? What if it required medical attention?

My dog was attacked by a little white dog this weekend and I (carelessly, I admit) reached in to protect my dog and stop the attack and was bitten by the other dog on the forearm. The other owner was horribly upset (the dog was a rescue and this was her first off-leash encounter with other dogs) and I reassured her that I was the one who took a risk by reaching into a dogfight so I accept all responsibility for what happened. On the other hand, she did not do ANYTHING to get her dog off of my dog, she just stood there and screamed which didn't help anything. The owner did call me today to see if I was okay and we talked about aggression and reactivity quite a bit. I gave her some resources to check out and she said she's not taking the dog back to the park until she meets with a trainer, so I don't think she is going to ignore this and hope it doesn't happen again. I think if the owner got defensive or rude, I may have handled the situation differently.

Many other dog owners say they would have taken the dog's license number and reported the dog to animal control. I did get the bite checked by my GP and she did have to report it to the health department, however no identifying information about the owner was requested (she did give me her information.) While I am not looking for reassurance that I did the right thing, I am curious as to what you would do in a similar situation.
In this case I personally probably wouldn't report it. If I go sticking my hand in a fight then I know I am risking getting bit so I am not going to report the dog if it does bite me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dog didn't get hurt at all. It was absolutely redirection because the dog let go IMMEDIATELY when I yelled ouch and she wasn't hostile towards me before or after she attacked Brody. I told the owner that I assumed all responsibility when I stuck myself between two furry balls of teeth yet the consensus of the other people I have told about this is "that dog is DANGEROUS because it bit a HUMAN! What if that was a CHILD!"

My doctor said it will be reported to the board of health because they have to keep a record of dog bite statistics and I had to tell them the approximate age of the dog, breed, and answer a few yes/no questions surrounding the circumstances of the bite but I gave no identifying information about the other owner. Since the rabies status of the dog was "unknown" I was offered a rabies shot. Since I'm already vaccinated I did not have to accept treatment so I declined because I knew the dog was vaccinated and I don't have an extra $200 to spare.

I heard that barbed wire saying bad things about Magpie. I think it's time for round two ;)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I think I would seriously get into a fist fight with some barbed wire if it was capable of talking badly about my Magpie. Nobody says a bad word about my sweet Magpie. <3

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She just seems so goofy and sweet. I want to grab her and hug her whenever you post a pic of her.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
She really is the love of my life and I honestly get all teary eyed when I talk about her. One in a million. I love ALL the dogs but Magpie is just something else.

And she is the only dog I know that LOVES to be hugged and asks for them. She smushes her big head into my chest and wags her tail so hard the couch shakes when I wrap my arms around her. If I say "Oh my sweet geet." she wags so hard I fear an earth quake.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's Brody!!!!! I also get all emotional when I think/talk about him. He is the love of my doggie life. When I lay in bed, he lays as close as he can to me and shoves himself under my arm forcing me to hug him. It's so sweet!

I think we should breed Brody and Magpie and make really ugly really sweet babies!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll get back to you after I reverse Brody's neuter.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yay puppies!!!

(Too soon? :p)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Hey, if we successfully figured out how to reverse these things (considering Magpie has been fixed for who knows how long. At least two years that I'm aware of) I would think it would be definitely a "yay puppies!" situation.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Don't you think he's aperfect stud? My lovely 60 lb JRT on steroids!

He's also the dog that got attacked so it's not entirely off topic!

It would totally be a YAY PUPPIES! situation. I'm sure their awesome personalities will negate the fact that both dogs have moderate hip dysplasia at a young age! Brody's even titled and AKC registered! "Broderick the Handsome, CGC"

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If both dogs are dysplasic it clearly cancels out if you breed them together. And we have to overlook the fact she would eat a child. BUT she has a cute face:

I mean, who has ears like that? And not off topic her and Jonas got into a fight ON MY LAP the other week and she accidentally got my arm but let go real quick when she realized it was me. I had to lift Jonas over my head with one arm and push her away with the other.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts