Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the other post about bites, and a few people mentioned they were bit while trying to break up a fight. What is the proper way to break up a dog fight?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've always heard that you should grab the back legs of the offending dog and rase them up like a wheelbarrow and hang on tight.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I did that with a foster dog who attacked my dog her first day at the house during feeding time. It was a reflex action on my part, I grabbed her by her by her back legs and carried her to our back door landing and closed the door on her. After that I tethered her while the dogs ate so she could not reach any of them, but she never tried to attack again and before she was adopted she ate with the other dogs with no problems.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That seems to be the best method. Also from what I've read when you have them by the back legs, keep them moving in a circle so they can't manage to spin around.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My dog was thrown out of a daycare when she was a 6 month old puppy because she turned around and snapped (did not bite) at the handler who was trying to wheelbarrow her away from another dog she was playing with. Long story, incompetent day care staff - had NO idea how to handle dogs. :mad: They made the right decision to kick her out since they didn't know how to deal with a dog with her play style, but sheesh! If you run a dog daycare and only want to have rugs (i.e. dogs that just lay around) as clients, why bother? Sorry for the rant. Still makes me mad.

So I'm not sure about the method. I know a lot of experts say it's the best way, but I'm certainly not as quick as a dog and if all that aggression gets focused on you as they turn around - yikes! As a rank amateur I wouldn't want to try it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That seems to be the best method. Also from what I've read when you have them by the back legs, keep them moving in a circle so they can't manage to spin around.
Yup, you had best be quick or they will turn and nail you. UP- FLIP- KEEP MOVING as needed. Better have grabbed the aggressor though or the other dog will no doubt continue the attack on the dog you are holding. Might need some quick leg/kicking action as well. Dog fights stink! :mad: :(

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I flip the dog sideways so they have to worry about righting themselves instead of continuing the fight. I am getting old and hope like heck I NEVER have to break up another dog fight. Especially with large breed heavy dogs. One never knows though and on occasion it happens. Thankfully not with my dogs.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Thanks, makes sense. I'm with you on not ever wanting to have to break up a fight. But it helps to know these tips just in case. Short of carrying around schutzhund gear, not sure you can ever be truly prepared!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Having a hose handy or a bottle of HALT would be a little more handy then running around in schutzhund gear on the off chance a dog fight might break out. LOL Fights are fast and furious, no time to really think but heading it off in a hesitant manner will get you hurt.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yes, but you'd always be ready for Halloween in your cute schutzhund outfit! I'm thinking purple is a nice color for every day...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Yes, but you'd always be ready for Halloween in your cute schutzhund outfit! I'm thinking purple is a nice color for every day...
LOL Too true, but it would be pretty toasty in June, July and August.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently had some experience with an aggressive pack and did a good bit of research on the matter after my brother ended up in the hospital with quite a few stitches breaking up a dog fight.

first and most importantly, if you are ALONE, NEVER ATTEMPT TO BREAK UP A DOG FIGHT.

each person should grab a dog right infront of its hind legs and raise them up (like a wheelbarrow). this forces blood to rush to the dogs head which is eventually force them to let go of the other dog.

one the dog lets go its first instinct (in fight mode) might be to go for whatever is behind it (you)

do not release the dogs legs, instead turn around in small circle. this will force the dog to side step with its front paw in order to not fall. this will prevent the dog from coming around after you. once the dog has settled down you may release it.

always be aware that when a dog is in fight mode he may not see you as the sweet loving caregiver. so please never attempt to break up a dog fight by your self. i have done it, it was not alot of fun, and i STRONGLY advise against it.

most dogs will not fight untill the death, one will eventually give up. so choosing not to intervene if you are by your self might save you and your family alot of trouble

1 - 14 of 14 Posts