Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a total whim earlier this week, I signed up Lars for a TDI test at a place where we train and trial. So, we set off for a morning of swimming, long walks and playing in the back yard before we headed north to MA.

Lars (as usual) was good as gold and scoffed at the dropped pans, the food on the floor, and relished in the loving the evaluator dished out. He passed with flying colors and I'm super happy with Mr. Lars.

At first I thought he would pass and we would just keep him certified through TDI until he got older and maybe not as busy with what we have going on. I was thinking "part-time retirement job" like my Sam had with his therapy work. But as I was driving home, I decided I would see if I could get into the Tail Wagging Tutors program TDI has where kids with reading issues read to dogs at the library. One of my friends had been doing that with her Weim. I think that would be a good job for Lars because he does love kids so.

I need to get his paperwork in and check in with our vet to make him legit. I think it's so cool he got such different facets of his personality. One side of him is the high drive flying/working machine and then there's this side...the lovey-dovey, good boy who gets along with everyone and everything.

Bravo Zulu Lars!!!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Congratulations! Volunteering with your dog is one of the best "feel good" experiences ever. You are beginning a grand adventure. Enjoy it all.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congratulations, that's wonderful!! You must train at the same place I go to - I know they were having TDI evaluations there on Sunday. :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quid, I bet I did go to the same place. - Masterpeace? I don't train there often...I was doing rally drop ins on their Sundays earlier this year and now I have been doing their agility drop ins the other Sundays. (I haven't been recently, but am going to start coming back.)

Your dogs don't look familiar or I could just be drawing a blank...so I'm not sure if we've met in real life.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quid, I bet I did go to the same place. - Masterpeace? I don't train there often...I was doing rally drop ins on their Sundays earlier this year and now I have been doing their agility drop ins the other Sundays. (I haven't been recently, but am going to start coming back.)

Your dogs don't look familiar or I could just be drawing a blank...so I'm not sure if we've met in real life.
Yep, that's where I go too. I haven't been around there much this summer though. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh Good for you, Mrs. Boat. I am so happy for both you and Lars. Lars sounds like such a honey of a dog. My dog Carsten does that "Read to a Dog" program and just loves it. The kids enjoy reading to him because he really makes them feel special. He tends to stare at them and the book so it works out really good. Thankfully the kids are too busy reading to notice his eyes are often closed. lol It is a wonderful program and I am sure Lars will be quite popular. :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Congratulations to both of you! What kind of dog is Lars...I forget. I can't wait to hear of his adventures with reading with kids. It sounds like lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Congrats!! It sounds like Lars will be a natural! He sounds just like Libby - Go get'em in the field, and willing to tone it down for therapy time!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations to both of you! What kind of dog is Lars...I forget. I can't wait to hear of his adventures with reading with kids. It sounds like lots of fun.
Lars is a rottweiler. :) And thank you all so much on the congrats!!! I'm so excited and I do miss doing therapy work since Sam passed. I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Lars is a rottweiler. :) And thank you all so much on the congrats!!! I'm so excited and I do miss doing therapy work since Sam passed. I can't wait!!!
OK now I KNOW I've never seen you at MP. I would have been drooling over Lars - I LOVE Rotties and rarely ever see them around here!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOLOLOL! You'll have to swing by on agility Sundays and see if you catch a glimpse of us. Look for the black and tan boy with the collar of flames and that's him. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts