Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I purchased a field springer spaniel this morning and brought if home from the breeder. It's nine months old, one of three remaining from the breeders last litter.

Anyways,since I have brought it home it has been very timid. Tail between it's legs, cowering and sometimes shaking pretty badly. The breeder was reputable, and I met a lot of the dogs family (mom, dad, uncle, grandpa,siblings.) The dog did not display this behavior at the breeders on the two occasions I visited, and the rest of the dogs were typical high energy springers.

It has gotten a lot better as the day has gone on, but it still walks with it's tail between it's legs and rear end slumping,and generally sheepish. Should I be concerned? I've never seen a dog this young so timid, with so little energy. I tried to take it for a walk, and it simply would not walk. Just laid on the ground. I assume that had something to do with the leash and him not being used to it. But it has not left the bed we bought for it essentially all day.

Plus, he was wimpering and getting ansy, so I figured it had to go to the bathroom. I literally could not get it to walk through the back door, I had to pick it up and bring it outside. He was shaking so bad, I've never seen it before. It was like one of those dogs on the dog whisperer.... When I finally did get it outside, it showed some energy towards a neighbor, which was good, but when it left, it was back to sheepish.

I've been laying on the floor with him, he tends to show more energy by laying by him.

Is this normal? Is the dog just adjusting to it's new surroundings? I plan on using the dog for hunting as well.

PS. I've owned dogs before and was raised in a house full of dogs. This is the 1st one that I was concerned about not having "enough" energy, it's usually the other way around?!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The dog is probably just adjusting to a completely foreign environment. You basically pulled the dog from an environment and routine that it was used to and put it in a brand new environment and a brand new routine for the very first time in it's life. I would give it at least a week before you get worried.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I agree with hulk. It's been one day. Give him a week. And I probably wouldn't lie on the floor with him. I would just back off a bit and let him adjust to his new surroundings. Just go about your business and let him work at his own pace. Keep your spirit calm and happy and encourage his participation with a low, calm, "good boy"...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts