Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Im from a small town that doesnt have a dog park or really anywhere good to take dogs to just run, play and socialize with other dogs/people... Ive always been a huge animal lover and always wanted to do something with my life that would deal with animals in anyway possible... Well lately Ive been thinking really long and hard about opening a "dog playground".. Not really sure if that actually exsists but in my mind it seems amazing... I was thinking kind of an indoor outdoor play area... I tried researching the internet for other places like this and havent had any luck.. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites, had any ideas, or comments.... Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!!!! THX!!!

~Ash

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
There are some dog parks that follow a more "playground" theme, with things like hoops to jump through and tunnels to play in.

I, personally, would never bring my dog to one of these places. The idea of a "playground," to me, leaves a lot of room for resource guarding issues to pop up between dogs. This is the reason that food and toys aren't allowed at many dog parks.

The best advice I can give is if you do get to the point where you decide to open some sort of place, make sure people are only allowed in after their dog has been temperament tested and they pay a membership fee.

Do you have a lot of experience with dogs? Maybe you want to consider working or volunteering at a dog day care to get a feel for what the dynamic of a large pack of dogs "feels" like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I do see what you are saying... It just really annoys me 2 not have anywhere 2 take my dogs and let them play... We have a decent size back yard but my German Shep loves to run sooo much it just isnt enough for him.... I was hoping 2 find a happy medium..

It would be a hassel to do but I think if ran correctly and with alot of time put into it could be something good... It would have 2 be something where the dogs did have 2 be tested first.. And the owners would have 2 b around at all times watching the dogs...... It seems like its going to be alot more thinking than I had originally realized.. But maybe if you had any other ideas that might work better Id love to hear..

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
That sort of sounds like the Unleashed Indoor Dog Park here in Dallas. Just google "unleashed indoor dog park" and you'll find the website.

I've never been, because I haven't finished moving to Dallas yet, and it costs like $8 per dog every day you go (which is way too expensive for me!). They have like a café and a supply store and everything, though, it seems so cool! I'd love to go check it out at least once.

Is that sort of what you were thinking of? :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well, I see you have a Pit Bull. I do love Pit Bulls btw, you should post pictures of your guy. :) But, surely, you must know that Pit Bulls and dog parks do not mix? http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogpark.cfm

If you're worried about exercising your own two, consider investing in long lines. You can get them in many sizes - 20', 30', 50', even 100' - or can make your own at a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes. I use one with my dog very often. It is basically just a long leash, but since I do not allow my dog offleash, this works well in parks, fields, beaches, etc.

You can also buy some agility equipment to mess around with in your own backyard. Jumps and tunnels are a great way to tire a dog out (just don't overdo it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well as far as the Pit goes... They are illegal here in city limits so I wouldnt be bringing him around any of those places... Hes just stuck with the back yard and weekend trips to the lake... Im more worried about my Shep mix... Hes just got an endless amount of energy!!!! He could run all day and all night if I let him!! lol! But the idea of getting him those hoops and things might actually help out.. It would be good for the pit at least! He loves 2 play but he def has his limits!

That indoor dog park does sound pretty neat.. Ill def go check it out right away! It sounds like something my Shep mix would love!! He loves any and all dogs and Ive never had a prob with him and other animals....

Thanks for all of the ideas!! Ive got alot to think about!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts