Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
What videos show is that he uses only agresive methods. This is clearly observed in guys that doesn't know how to call the dog attention snd asume his alpha role.
Unfortunately there are many pseudo-professionals who gain popularity by the media when they really are just improvised guys and I suggest using the same means to reveal this lies and the harm they make to dogs.
...what?

(tooshort)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Um...I don't believe I'm saying this.. perhaps Mr. Pattison isn't THAT bad. I've spent the evening reading all of the posts from "Martin Richling" on this forum (http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t59638/ or http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t60365/) and came across this gem:

I have a question. Some members who have read your book say that you advocate half-drowning dogs and beating them with a stave to correct them for things like digging. Is this true and when and where would you use it? How often? Do you use it with many of your clients?
The dog should THINK that it is drowning. It is not half-drowned. The stave is used on its butt to sting the dog. I have used this method 3 times in 26 years with very hard dogs. Other dogs were corrected with other measures not as hard. Hard dogs do sometimes require hard measures.
People REALLY let a "trainer" nearly drown their dog and hit it with a stick? REALLY?!?!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
People REALLY let a "trainer" nearly drown their dog and hit it with a stick? REALLY?!?!
Pretty sure Pattison would do the same. . .and Koehler recommended hanging your dog until it was dizzy from lack of oxygen and puking from being choked. Lovely. People will let "trainers" get away with horrible things. And will take the recommendations of any fool who calls himself a trainer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've seen hanging first-hand and was actually forced to implement it in one instance when I was an apprentice trainer for a service dog organization. Needless to say, that was the day I put in my notice. What I don't understand is you can find a million and a half clients of such horrific training methods willing to give praise and testimony on how great the methods work, yet you can never find clients who object to it. It's not just famous trainers too, we have some pretty horrific local trainers that are ALWAYS recommended to me when I mention I have a dog with a bite history. Makes me wonder how these "trainers" treat the owners who object to the methods.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I've seen hanging first-hand and was actually forced to implement it in one instance when I was an apprentice trainer for a service dog organization. Needless to say, that was the day I put in my notice. What I don't understand is you can find a million and a half clients of such horrific training methods willing to give praise and testimony on how great the methods work, yet you can never find clients who object to it. It's not just famous trainers too, we have some pretty horrific local trainers that are ALWAYS recommended to me when I mention I have a dog with a bite history. Makes me wonder how these "trainers" treat the owners who object to the methods.
Yep, I have seen my share of bad local trainers as well. Some of which worked for petsmart when they first opened!.

201 - 205 of 205 Posts