Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my boyfriend is very smart in alot of ways, BUT stupid I think in this one. He won't license one of his two dachsunds. One has one from a previous owner and he just pays the fee each year. Both dogs have all up to date shots. He loves these two dogs. BUT, I have told him several times to please get the other dog licensed, it's the law here in this county. We almost broke up over this issue. Why is he so stubborn?? I don't know! His excuse is "Oh, they never get out". Yes, they are in a very secure area and that's good enough for him and he told me that if something has been a certain way for someone and it has worked for them then let it be. It's pnly $10 bucks!! HELLO?? Anyone have any comments on this?? I just can't see the logic here! Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can see both sides of the issue.

Personally, in my county the only reason to get the tags is not to be issued a fine. The fine is usually $15 over the intial fee.

If the dog catcher does find your dog.. they do not return them right away. Here they sit in his truck until he decides to bring them to the pound. Some dogs have stayed in his truck for 1-2 days. You do not get a phone call right away.

Do I get licences for my dogs - of course. I have three and if I have issues with another dog while we are walking.. then I can call the dog catcher to investigate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)Hi, thanks for replying, he did get dog name tags with his cel number engraved on them at a Petco here in town. I told him they can be done for about $10 bucks each. So he did that at least. People are wierd sometimes! Everyone I guess has thier quirks! Some just do not make sense! haha!! ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
l'm from Toronto so it might be a little different. Nobody checks to see if our dog is registered not even police. Additionally its 60$ a yr here to register but nobody register for the most part

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My dogs aren't licensed. They have name tags and are microchipped. I don't see why this would be such a big issue you would almost break up over it? Is there some benefit to having them licensed? (I am honestly asking).

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Huh I've never heard of getting a dog licensed.. Just tags/tats/chips, Do they do this everywhere? How much does it cost and is it an annual fee? What is the benefit of this over the tag/tat/chips?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Huh I've never heard of getting a dog licensed.. Just tags/tats/chips, Do they do this everywhere? How much does it cost and is it an annual fee? What is the benefit of this over the tag/tat/chips?
It depends on where you live ...most states/counties have different fees......the only thing I can think of that it benefits (besides obeying the law)..is that its another form of identification for your pet..and it should indicate that the animal has had a rabies vac....(of course if the tag is expired then the vac might be old)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It depends on where you live ...most states/counties have different fees......the only thing I can think of that it benefits (besides obeying the law)..is that its another form of identification for your pet..and it should indicate that the animal has had a rabies vac....(of course if the tag is expired then the vac might be old)
Hmm, we must not have it here... My vet would have mentioned it if it was something we were supposed to get I think?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your vet most likely would not tell you about this, you would have to call the local ASPCA or something like that to find out. We do have to do it here I live in So Cal and it is $20 - a year per dog if they are spayed or net. it is $40 per dog every year if not. Some counties in my area are alot more than that. Also in my county animal control will go around to houses and apartments all year long and see if you have dogs and if they are lic if not they will give you about a month to get it done if its not done they start hitting you with alot of fines. They were just at my sisters house who lives next door to me a few days ago but I keep mine up and most of the time I am early so they didnt even come to my house.....

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The way it works here is that when you get your dogs first rabies shot, the vet sends info to the state or county (whichever agency handles it), & state or county then sends you notice per mail that you need to pay the license fee of either 12 or 15 bucks for said pet.
It's just another way the state or county collects fees, but I'd rather just go ahead & pay the small yearly fee rather than have some sort of ticket on my record.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Our town requires people to get a license for their dogs. It's $10 for spayed/neutered and $15 unaltered. I need to bring proof of her rabies vac every year to Town Hall, and I get a tag. They put all her basic info in the database, along with her vet's info and an emergency contact.

I don't see why he wouldn't want to do it, but like you said everyone has their quirks!

The benefit I see for doing it myself, is in case she ever were in an altercation, she is known to the town and I can prove her vaccinations. The fee here for not licensing your dog is something like $50 first offense, $100 second, and so on.

We have 5 public beaches in my town, so needless to say the leash laws are broken daily. The animal control officer is notorious for roaming around in the summer, and handing out tickets if the dogs are not licensed. We live in a fairly small town so I guess it's a good way to make some money???

·
Banned
749 Posts
To the OP, He has tags with the dogs name and cell number, that's good to hear. Now let's say that I am your local dog catcher. The dog gets out and is running on the street or he slips his collar or harness or the leash breaks he is on while being walked.

Now I find your dog as the dog catcher and I notice the tag but I do not find the license tag. I will take your dog, not call you that I have him or her and then take the dog to the shelter. Then your dog will be adopted by someone else.

Now that your dog has been adopted by someone they have him licensed and your boyfriend sees the other person with the dog and claims it is his dog. The new owner has proof it is there dog because they have the license.

Now the dog might be microchipped but not every animal control department has a scanner. Even if they did they could still bring the dog to the shelter because the license law was not followed.

Tell him to get the dog licensed plain and simple. Tell him to do it or you will have it done for him. That will be the end of the discussion. Then you won't have to fight over it anymore.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We almost broke up over this issue.

Sorry, but that's such a stupid thing to almost break up about.

Lots of people don't license their dogs, even when they are "supposed" to, they don't.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Well, if you all almost broke up over a petty issue like that, you all must not be communicating well. Heh, no fear, I'm not Dr. Phil.

Some people are just flat out lazy, about the lamest crap... It doesn't matter if it only takes one second out of their 90years+ life, they won't do it no way no how... It's pathetic and a ridiculous habit...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have two dogs. One is licensed and the other isn't. The one that is is licensed just because when we went to the vet, the vet told me I had to do it and I'd rather pay the $18 than argue with someone. The one that isn't isn't because he got a vet checkup with a rescue organization a week before I got him. I'm honestly too lazy to go out and pay the $18. I also know that in my city the penalty for an unlicensed dog is you have to license him. BFD. I don't see how it's worth breaking up over, but I don't know what the consequences are for an unlicensed dog in your municipality.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here's the BFD: The fees go typically 100 percent to the city animal control or pound.

Here, they hold onto any dog caught roaming with no ID for three days then try to adopt him out for another two weeks. In my previous county, they killed the dog after three days because they didn't have the money to hold them any longer.

So that's why you pay the license fee which is never terribly high. ($20 a year for me)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It depends on your location. Most towns have their own. Price varies, sometimes it is more for intact dogs also. Benefit is that the city/county gets their money which is supposed to go back into the budget. In turn helping them serve you/animals better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts