Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our buildings insurance has been changed, some new breeds are not aloud but some that we couldn't have before are now allowed. The one I am happiest about is the Boxer :) .

So now we are torn between a Boxer and a Newfie as our next dog.

Currently we have a small one bedroom apartment on the second floor with two parks nearby, one of which had a space where a dog can be set free. We have an energetic 6 month old Beagle mix who is pushing 33 pounds. Hair and drool doesn't scare us much, there's also a groomer next door where we can take the pup for a pampering once in awhile. Is it just me or is brushing a dogs coat relaxing? Once the dog gets older I plan to have it come with us on our daily walks and once weekly "hikes" (it's an old trolley path but it's not a short walk). Til they are done growing, or in the safe zone to do so, they will accompany us on these walks in a wagon (well they'll walk some for their exercise then go in the wagon). We live in a community with lots of little kids so a breed known to be kid friendly is a must (which is both).

I grew up with Boxers so I definitely have a soft spot with them. Newfies I've only met a fair few times. Both are great breeds and I'm kind of lost as to which to really dive into to prepare for our next (meaning with copper) dog.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
They are polar opposites.

If you want WAYYY more energy go for a boxer. Thought there are some who breed more mellow boxers. Boxers are the ultimate goofball and they are known to be friendly and exuberant, but protectiveness is also not uncommon, especially in the home versus out and about.

I think newfies are more likely to stay still in a wagon and not maul kids with love.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I agree with Canyx, they're complete opposites! Newfies are more laid back, while Boxers are bundles of energy! Also, Newfies drool! A lot! And they're huge, so consider the expenses that go with a really big dog like that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with Canyx, they're complete opposites! Newfies are more laid back, while Boxers are bundles of energy! Also, Newfies drool! A lot! And they're huge, so consider the expenses that go with a really big dog like that!
Our current boy can sling drool so that doesn't bug me to much. Maybe a boxer would be better for us for now since we live in a small home?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are polar opposites.

If you want WAYYY more energy go for a boxer. Thought there are some who breed more mellow boxers. Boxers are the ultimate goofball and they are known to be friendly and exuberant, but protectiveness is also not uncommon, especially in the home versus out and about.

I think newfies are more likely to stay still in a wagon and not maul kids with love.
We use the wagon because (from what I've been told and have read) it's not good for young pups to go on long walks like we do.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Our current boy can sling drool so that doesn't bug me to much. Maybe a boxer would be better for us for now since we live in a small home?
The size of your home doesn't mean too much. I imagine a Newfie would be perfectly fine, considering they're pretty laid back and don't require that much exercise. If the dog needs to be crated, the size of the crate may be an issue if you don't have a space for it!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd wait until your current dog is a couple of years old before thinking about adding another dog, especially another puppy. In the meantime, you can do more research on both breeds, and maybe even contact some breeders.

I know that Boxers have have some pretty serious health issues, including cardio, so make sure any Boxer breeder you are interested in does annual holter tests on their breeding dogs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have a English Mastiff and a Boxer mix, the boxer puppy require far more than the English Mastiff ever needed as far as room, energy level has them playing a ton more which mean running into stuff and way more mouthy.

Also Boxers bark a heck of alot more than English Mastiffs or Newfies do. (You did say your in a apartment).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have a English Mastiff and a Boxer mix, the boxer puppy require far more than the English Mastiff ever needed as far as room, energy level has them playing a ton more which mean running into stuff and way more mouthy.

Also Boxers bark a heck of alot more than English Mastiffs or Newfies do. (You did say your in a apartment).
That's true. I never thought of it much but all the boxers we had growing up were vocal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts