Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently trying to decide whether or not to purchase a Boxer Puppy. The issue is that I need to decide soon because the Animal Control doesn't keep dogs that long. The puppy is 12 weeks and is a female. I have a few questions.

-How easy is it to house break a boxer?
-Would 1 or 2 walks be okay(a day)?
-Would she do well in an Apartment?
-Are they prone to disease?
-What type of food works best?
-Do you think Clementine would be a cute name?
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13588305

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Boxers are pretty high energy, so you'd probably need to get her out more than twice a day when she's older, right now, good play sessions and training will be enough (you want to limit how much walking you do in large breed pups, the rule is 5 minutes per month of age after 3 months old to avoid joint problems) .

She'd do fine in an apartment with the correct amount of exercise and solid training. Be sure you get her enrolled in a good puppy K and basic obedience class, she'll need it. I'd also plan of advanced obedience and possibly a good class for agility or other high energy activity.

They are fairly easy to housebreak and respond VERY well to positive reinforcement.

Clementine is a very good name!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm not sure if you have done this already...but please check with your apt complex to make sure its ok to have a larger breed dog like a boxer :)

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Keep in mind, when naming your dog, that the urge to shorten the name to a nickname is primal.

So, Cubby became Cub. Esther became Essie (which isn't actually shorter.) Molly became Mol.

I wish the owners that I encountered at the dogpark a few years ago had considered that before they named their dog Chitlins.

As long as you're prepared to have Clementine referred to as Clem, I think it's a lovely name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts