Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I jsut bought a boxer puppy for my gf. He is from a new breeder but has all his certifications, and had very good vet care during his first few weeks of life with his breeder. The dog was perfect when it came to going to the bathroom, we had no accidents until today around 1pm. He drank water then almost instantly squatted to pee. So I calmly took him outside, here he ran around then squatted to pee again this time only some small drops came out. He did this many times while we were outside. It seems like he stops doing this for about 30 mins or so then when we go outside he will do it continuously. For example, he will pee a real stream the first time. Then about every minute to minute and a half will try and pee. He isnt doing it now that we came inside. I called our emergency vet, they want an arm and leg paid upfront for just the visit itself. Im gonna assume its a bladder infection. Because outside of the peeing thing, he is so happy go lucky. He will run and play and nothing else seems wrong.

If there is something wrong is there anything we can give him natural remedy wise? I work at a health food store and know that many human products work on pets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking that. I mean he sleeps a lot more then my labs did. My one lab actually wouldnt sleep at all. I picked this dog because he was calm though. He will play then sleep then play and sleep. Ive only owned labs before and they werent like this but he seems happy and normal. We are at my gfs house with him now and he hasnt tried to pee on anything yet. Like I said he didnt do it at all yesterday or all morning. He started it at about 1pm today. Sorry I didnt give much info before. He isnt in pain when he pees, he dosnt look as if hes straining either. He just kinda squatts pees a few drops then runs around then does it again. Only reason Im asking is my gf just put her dog down and she is scared something may be wrong with him. Im trying to bring her some ease of mind without running to my emergency vet and giving them a ton of money to tell me everything is fine.

Hes only 8 or 9 weeks old as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Abby, my OES, used to do this and Dexter does the same. It's normal, they are just marking their territory or spreading their scent around. Abby did it her entire life from the time she was 6 months old(and spayed) until she died at 11 1/2 years old. I never worried about it since I knew they both were(or in Dexter's case is) healthy.

I think the inside was a simple potty accident which happen. A dog truly isn't housebroken until they go 6 months without a potty accident and it's hard for them to be perfect before 6 months old anyways, it's like any small creature, human or otherwise when they are just learning, they wait until the last moment and then can't make it.

Taryn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But he is just 8 weeks old right now? Isnt that a little young to be marking territory? He sleeps an awful lot too. I mean he is a puppy but he is sleeping for hour at a time to wake up and play for 20-30 mins and then back to sleep. He is used to eating twice a day and we tried doing three smaller meals today, but he refused to eat the food we just tried to give him.
My other question is he had some whitish eye sleepers several times throughout the day, is this normal?
Sorry for all the worrying but my gf just put her dog down so she is scared to death this puppy I got her is gonna get sick.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Have you taken the puppy to the vet yet? Usually, the breeder requires puppies to go to the vet within 72 hours of the owner bringing it home. It will need further vaccinations and you can ask the vet to check for worms, parasites, bladder infection, etc. The vet will do a physical exam, and you can ask about his eye discharge and frequent peeing.

I know how your girlfriend feels. Our collie had to be put down when he suddenly became very sick with cancer. He had been misdiagnosed by the vet, and had been under the vet's constant care for a back problem for 4 months. The prednisone he was taking masked the cancer symptoms. I was absolutely devastated when Teddy died.

Now that we have Aidan, I am always worried that he is sick and will die from something. He is a normal, healthy, puppy, but I am a bit neurotic about his health. I have taken him to the vet several times when he was perfectly fine, but I was afraid he was sick because he was sleeping too much, or threw up once, or didn't eat a meal. I don't do that any more, but I still keep an eagle eye on everything about him to make sure he is going to live through the day.

When Teddy was 8 and 9 weeks old, he used to play for awhile and then suddenly go to sleep. It was like a light had switched on and off. Perfectly normal, according to our vet.

BTW, should you notice a crescent shaped brown mark on the whites of your puppy's eyes, that is the 3rd eyelid, or nictitating membrane. Your puppy is not going blind. If you don't see it, that is because many nictitating membranes are not dark in color. I learned this at at one of my unnecessary vet visits.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think this is something that can wait for your regular vet to be open, but I would take him in for a urinalysis, just to be sure. He may have an infection, or he may just have his own little puppy reasons for peeing so much. As long as he is eating, drinking, and going potty, he's probably not in any imminent danger.

Also, my Boxer gets eye boogers all the time. I wipe them off of her at least four times a day. :p The sleeping is normal, especially in such a young puppy. They tend to play hard for a little bit, than sleep harder for a longer bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts