Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Apparently, according to the video posted, the owner was already notified the day the dog was dropped off it was there... so some one was able to figure out it was his.

I wish though he wouldn't sue them on the grounds that they might have sold the dog off because they need to be sued for what they even claim they did (cause that's already bad enough that they shouldn't be allowed to do that). Yeah, they may need space, but then as some one else said, if a dog has to be euthanized, pick one that has been there the longest (there is a point where it is cruel to keep the dog caged up for a long period anyways if no one is adopting him/her). I have to say I find the owner's attitude though that cause his dog is a full blood means it hsould have more importance over the mutts kinda annoying - he at one point says they should have just euthanized one of the mutts instead (hate to tell him, but people abandon full bloods all the time. We had a very obvious full blooded golden that we got from that shelter I mentioned only kept dogs 7 days. He was found roaming around the countryside. I don't think that cause the dog was not a mutt is a good indicator that there is obviously an owner).

If they are to accept dropped off dogs, they need to be required to at least hold the dogs for a few days to allow people to claim the dogs. If that means they have to start roping off a few cages for dropped off dogs that are to be "quarentined" until the claim period is up, so be it. Honestly, I really think it should be a policy of any shelter that allows people to drop off dogs that a dog cannot be adopted/euthanized for a certain amount of time to give people time to claim the dog.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
did anyone else pick up on this??? reno first said THIS:

“We need a new facility and the city of Jasper needs a animal shelter,” Reno said. “We are not a dog pound. We are a Humane Society and are licensed as a euthanasia clinic. We are not an animal shelter and do not have to follow the same guidelines the city has to follow.”

then later in the article Reno said :

“That doesn’t apply to us, We aren’t a pound. We are a animal shelter,” Reno said when read the code.

I had to go back and re-read it several times. She contradicted herself big time! So, are they or are they NOT an animal shelter? What a sad sad story. :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had to go back and re-read it several times. She contradicted herself big time! So, are they or are they NOT an animal shelter? What a sad sad story. :(
According to one of the other articles posted they are paid by the county to be the acting impound area - which means they have to have a 7 day holding period if they are accepting that money according to the first article posted. That article quotes alabama law saying each county has to have an impound area and they have to hold the dog for 7 days.

Either way, there is no justification for Reno... either they were the acting impound area and what she did was highly illegal, or there was a pound and she should have refused the dog saying they had no room if she was not goign to put a dog to sleep to make room and refer the old couple to the county pound.

And on that note, I thought the point of being a kill shelter was that you can't keep all the dogs turned in and to give each dog as much of a chance as possible but if you fill up, having to make room by euthanizing the dogs that had their chance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Two sad parts there , a dog that should of never been killed and if that lawsuit is a success , that means higher insurance rates and less funds to operate a already under funded place . Which according to the lady is the reason he had to be put down in the first place . No win situation .

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Had that been my dog I do not know if I could have resisted physical violence on the spot.

I guess I would be in the human control shelter...

I don't see why they wouldn't put down a dog that had been there longer then minumum time, like every shelter/impound I've known of..

Or if as she said if they didn't have room and couldn't put it in with another dog, take a friendly dog and put it with another so the boxer can be alone.

It's a 3 day period where I live, I checked before I got my new dog, and if they did this to my dog I'd be hopping mad. But even a 24 or 48 hour period would work.

I tend to believe she put it down because it was a "bulldog" looking dog over the other lame excuses.

I hope the owner burns the county down in damages.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Had that been my dog I do not know if I could have resisted physical violence on the spot.
If someone did that to my dog, hopefully there would be someone nearby to pry me off of them, because I don't know how much self-control I would have. :mad:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I can't even imagine how I would have responded when I got down there if it were one of mine. Heads would roll.

Though, my dogs are all tagged and microchipped. If they get out and someone finds them, I would hope they would call the number on their tags immediately.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What a sad, sad situation and what a #[email protected]$%^&*[email protected] of a shelter director. She needs to be fired.

But, yes, I also found it highly irritating that he his dog was more valuable because it was a purebred.

And if you listen to that news video link the lady says she thought it was a pitbull (not a boxer).

It's scary to think that there might be other places out there like this and serves as a good reminder to have tags on the collar and a microchip.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Unfortunately our local shelter here is quite like that. The Director of Operations was quoted saying " I feel comfortable putting any of these dogs to sleep" referring to any Rottweiler that came in. She tried to deny an adoption to our local ACO saying the dog she was interested in didn't get temperament tested yet, but showed aggressive tendencies. It was a 12 week old Rottweiler. Fortunately for the puppy, the ACO fought it and was able to adopt her. She is an amazing dog and hangs out at the police station and other public places.

I agree completely that people with breed specific prejudice should NOT be in those decision making positions. All dogs should have a chance. Having spent countless hours training dogs at that shelter though, I can say, certain breeds have a better chance then other and when a tough decision needs to be made, it makes sense to pick those.
A Boxer is not high on my list of euthanasia picks however. They tend to get adopted.

I am surprised they could euth a dog that just came in though unless it was a surrender because of legal need for stray hold. Odd, and very sad!

Edit: I just wanted to add that I just watched the video that BoxmeIn added. I was thinking too that it sounded like a back door sale of a pure bred dog to me. I would have demanded proof that the dog was indeed put to sleep. I would also have gotten an attorney like he did. That is so shameful. What that idiot lady said about not putting it up for adoption? No kidding but the least they could have done was gave the owner enough time to come claim him back. Shame on her. Hopefully, she loses her job over that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but if I had been the owner I don't think I would have been able to keep my fist from accidentally landing on someone's lips.

Reno should lose her job, and never work with animals of any kind again.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Wtf happened to the mandatory stray period!? Unless the dog was owner surrendered there is no way the dog could have been legally euthanized that quickly.

I won't say what I think about the person involved.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for posting that update Pai! I signed the petition too. Interesting how the truth comes out...That woman should not be working in a shelter!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Wow...really a sad and convoluted story.

I thought strays usually had a certain amount of hold time but owner turn ins were euth'd immediately if space was an issue.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
No words could express the grief I feel for Boost's owner. I hope that Reno get fired, and the Humane society gets a wake up call. It actually may help them to have some publicity as people try to adopt the animals out of there so it doesn't happen to them.

The Reno story has way too many holes like swiss cheese. A shelter director is to NEVER have their own opinion about breeds in how to run a shelter.

You would be frightened too if you were at the end of a catch pole not understanding what's going on. It's just pitiful. While we all know that we cannot save every animal in the world and we do our best to try. However, it does make me feel that the dogs that has been there the longest could be put to sleep or fostered out for a while. They can just put a little dogs in cat cages or carriers FOR NOW. It's not an ideal situation, but it's only temporary...we do that with animals at hospitals when the cages get full, the smaller dogs go in the cat room/cat cages or left in a large carrier JUST for now...

This quote is quite fitting...

"One pet cannot change the world, but the world will change for that one pet."

Post the petitions in your facebook status..:)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts