Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a thread on this yet, I just saw it on a horse forum I'm a member of...

http://www.mountaineagle.com/index.cfm?event=news.view&id=6B5EC395-19B9-E2E2-67D88B8C88FD7173

I just find that so horrific! I mean I understand that they maybe they didn't have the room, but why wouldn't they put down a dog that had been there for a while to make room? I mean this dog had a collar and was in good condition...The owner was there at 8 am the next morning to get him and he was already incinerated!

This quote seems alarming to me too, I don't think anybody with a strong dislike for any type of dog should be working at a rescue shelter.

People who have worked at the Humane Society in the past have told us she (Reno) has a strong dislike for any dog that looks like a bulldog and said she would put them down immediately

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think anybody with a strong dislike for any type of dog should be working at a rescue shelter.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
This is very sad. I hope the owner gets some justice.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I think because the dog had a collar on they should have at least kept it in a small room or spare crate, for the night.

·
Registered
823 Posts
At our shelters, any dog that comes in as a stray is kept for some amount of time (usually 3 days) to give its owners time to claim it. That is really sad. I would be furious.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Wow, what BS. I would be so pissed at that place.. As my Boyfriend said "I'd almost feel sorry for them if they had to deal with your wrath."

That poor owner. I hope he gets what he deserves

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
That really is ridiculous. If our Humane Society has no space for animals, they make it known that they have no space and won't accept any more dogs. Either that or they euthanize the dog that has been there the longest or the one who is deemed to be the least adoptable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OMG that is sooo sad!!! i can not believe this, it is an outrage!! here i SLC they are required to hold an animal when it comes the Humane society for at least 48-72 hours before they do anything!!

did anyone else pick up on this??? reno first said THIS:

“We need a new facility and the city of Jasper needs a animal shelter,” Reno said. “We are not a dog pound. We are a Humane Society and are licensed as a euthanasia clinic. We are not an animal shelter and do not have to follow the same guidelines the city has to follow.”

then later in the article Reno said :

“That doesn’t apply to us, We aren’t a pound. We are a animal shelter,” Reno said when read the code.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is too sad!!! Here in SE Virginia, there is a 7 - 10 day hold on animals that come in with a collar on. Even without a collar, I believe that they hold them for at least 3 days before being available to the public for adoption (if adoptable). And here too, if there is no room (usually at the Humane Society) then they state that there is no room and that they can't take it in.

I also caught that in the article the HS manager... Reno, said that "animals brought to the Humane Society become frightened or agitated, which she said could explain Boost’s reaction". Why is it that later in the article Reno just plain claims that the dog would have been unadoptable due to the initial reaction that he displayed??? That the dog was just too aggressive. And how would they now this for sure in the short amount of time that they were in contact with the dog before they just went and put him down??

It is not my dog and I am furious just reading about it. I can't begin to imagine how the owner must feel. I feel so sad for him.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OMG......I can't believe that they did that. If that was my dog, I would be furious too. They should have at least 3 days before they can even think of doing that. I wonder.....can the owners sue them? Sheesh that is so frustrating to hear this ;( Sorry to hear you have to go through that

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I found so many contradictions as to what that woman was saying in the article too! I just can't imagine how horrible I would feel if that were my dog. The lady doesn't even show any remorse or apologize at all for what she did, she just kept trying to justify it.

It sounds like they are persuing a law suit against her, hopefully they win!

·
Registered
434 Posts
HOly crap. That is just wrong. I would think shelters would at least hold dogs that were brought in a few days in case some one claims them. And if she claims they are not beholden to the city guidelines, they don't have to accept dogs if they are full. They should have just said, sorry, we can't take it in and refer the elderly couple over to the pound (I feel bad for that couple cause they probably thought they were doing a good deed. I mean if I brought an animal I found to the shelter it would be because I couldn't find the owner and that I thought that was the next best chance if the owner was looking for hte dog).

Really, I hope they sue and win. Yeah, means less money for that shelter to house animals, but I honestly don't think that shelter should be running if they are putting animals to sleep as soon as they get them as they become another hazard like a car runnign over your dog (imagine living in that area and no only worrying if your dog gets loose that a car runs him over but that some one might turn him over to that shelter!).

Even the rural pound my parents got a golden retriever I grew up with gave each dog 7 days (6 of which were reserved for the previous owner to be able to find the dog). I hear they went down to 3 days but they still at least give every dog 3 days. And they weren't claiming to be there to help the animals (they just were run by the county so that there would be soemwhere to put the loose animals people found, at least until they were either found by owner or put to sleep).

And I'm curious, it says Humane Society... was that run by the U.S. Humane Society (that has a rep of wanting to get rid fo pet ownership)?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This reminds me of one episode of Animal Cop Miami. They get to the seen... black lab has been hit by a car. In a neighborhood, the people around just weren't sure of the owners. Dog is wearing a collar. Dog is euthanized on scene. He wasn't scanned for a microchip. No knocking on doors. No attempt at all to find his family.

I'm sorry but any dog, especially if wearing a collar, should be given the mandatory amount of time. If this was my dog... there would be a lawsuit. I can't believe other people haven't spoke up about this before. I guess now that someone else has, they will be able to speak up in court and hopefully find justice for these animals.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
And I'm curious, it says Humane Society... was that run by the U.S. Humane Society (that has a rep of wanting to get rid fo pet ownership)?
I'm told that the Humane Society of the United States (which I assume is what you're referring to) does not run any of the local Humane Societies across the country. This is part of the reason why you see some really bad Humane Societies and some really good ones. They're all locally run.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
That is really disgusting, I thought they had a 3 day hold policy on any strays? Euthanizing a dog an hour after it's brought in is unacceptable no matter what, that doesn't even give the best of owners time enough to find out where the dog went and go to claim it. It's disheartening. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts