Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old Shih Tzu/Chihuhaua puppies eat twice a day and get a couple of treats a day. That's it. The eat Castor and Pollux Organix and Ultramix food. They poop 4-5 times a day. Is this normal?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About two handfuls per day - that may measure out to be about a cup per day. Callie acts like is not enough and for Bella, she always leaves a little bit for Callie to wolf down.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
1. I would measure how much food I give per day

2. how much does your dog weigh?

3. 1 cup of food is a lot for a small dog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Callie is about 10lbs and Bella is about 8lbs. Callie is a little bit bigger in size than Bella.

So you think 4-5 times a day is too much?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Whoa!...if they are 10lbs and under 1 cup of food a day is a pretty good amount..my pug is 20lbs and gets 2/3 cup a day .....

4/5 times a day is a little much but I hate to say for sure with out knowing the dogs.....mine go 2 times a day (poo) and 3/4 times for pee

but the more you feed the more they poo....so if you over feed then they are going to have to eliminate more often

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will measure out my handfuls when I get home to see if it is really a cup per day and then reduce if it is. Callie seems like she doesn't eat enough.. she is sucks it in and then waits for Bella to finish.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Be sure to read the feeding guide on the bag of food. Remember most dog food companies make the feeding guide for active dogs that exercise at least an hour a day. if your dog exercises less, you'll have to feed less than what the guide says.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just measured my "handfuls" and it came out to just a tad under 2/3cups. So that means I feed them about 2/3cup twice a day.

Natural Ultramix and Organix both suggest feeding 3/4-2cups for 3-12lbs between 7-12mos.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
1 1/3 cup seems like quite a bit of food for a pup under 10 lbs IMO....but I know puppies need more ....if it were me I would try cutting back just a tad to see what happens......if they seem to drop weight then you can always up it again

as far as dogs gulping down food and looking for more.......thats normal for many dogs.....my dogs would try to eat the whole bag if I let them:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts