Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, a dog from our neighborhood got outside and we were lucky enough to find her and be able to spend an afternoon enjoying her company. Bo, in particular, was in HEAVEN playing with this young Catahoula. I was so impressed with them both - they were just crazy girls together, having so much fun.

I could tell our new friend (we called her Marble) didn't want to go home - I would have kept her in a heartbeat!

more

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After seeing just how much Bo enjoyed it, doing a lot of reading, and of course seeing first hand what a great dog the Houla is, I'm looking at rescuing--

Zim - I've often thought Bolo looked like Bo! :)

·
Banned
593 Posts
Great Pics....... looked like a nice dog! Glad you helped her find her way home. I bet the owners were happy. Looks like Boudicca had a great time!

Catahoula's are great dogs! I almost adopted one about a month ago, a real cutie. Each one has there own unique markings. My sister has four purebred houla's. Two she bought from a breeder and two were from rescues. Her's are working dogs and all ENERGY! All they want to do is work, work, work............. they never stop. They remind me of a friends Belgian Mal's. Defiantly, research if you get a purebred...........but I think you already said you were....... :eek:

You can find GREAT houla mixes in the Albuquerque City Shelters. We just had a litter of houla/ lab puppies in the shelter that all got adopted. Someone I know that works for PACA Rescue just fostered a 6m old that they pulled from a shelter down south along with 4 other purebred houla's. Just keep your eyes peeled. There are more houla/ houla mixes then you may think in the shelters around NM, especially Valencia County I've heard. Sometimes the city shelters will list them as ACD, but they look NOTHING like ACD more like houla's........

Here is Annie. She looks like a beauty!
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12778015

If you adopt one, you are defiantly going to have to post lot's of pics....... I love Catahoula's. :p Good luck :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll keep my eyes open crazyDog. So far not much. I really would prefer a male given the harem I have now, so Annie isn't going to work, although I've been eyeballing the beauty! She sure is a looker - sweet too I bet. I don't actually make it to the shelters regularly, but I've been doing the petfinder thing w/out success - I have been searching on Catahoula though - I'll experiment a little more.

I have an ACD, so I have some idea of the special needs of the working breeds - and Boudi actually has a lot of the Dutch Shepard traits herself, although who knows what her breed really is - but energy out the ***! I'm thinking I can handle it... My gals get a lot of exercise, one on one time and lots of mental stimulation. Good for all of us, frankly!

If you happen to hear about anyone (of the boy houla (cross OK) type) in the ((much) greater ABQ area and think of it, please let me know!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
if you are really interested in Houlas a good person to talk to is Mr.Abney of
www.abneycatahoulas.com

iknow you don't want a breeder dog but Mr. Abney is extremely nice and very knowledgeable about the breed. He let me pester him with endless questions and was very nice about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts