Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My dog (female - 1 year) is all the sudden dragging her bottom across the carpet. It's not constant, but she never used to do that at all.

Should I get this checked out or is it normal?

Thank you!

Pink

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
probably mean her anal glands need to be expressed if it's happening a few times. You should go to your vet. It could maybe also be tapeworms but you'll would have seen them in her stool before the scooting.

If it's just a one time thing, could be just an itch :p.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.... I'm pretty "anal" (har hee har... :p) about checking her stools and there aren't any worms in them so that's good.

I'll call the vet tomorrow and have her check the glands.

Pink

About how much does it cost for a vet to take care of the anal glands?

Pink

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our puppy was dragging her bottom, so we took her to the vet for an exam/to have the glands expressed. Not much came out of her glands, and it turned out she just had an irritation kind of like a diaper rash. The more she scooted, the worse it got. Our vet thought the irritation came from some loose stools. She advised us to put Aquaphor on her bottom for a few days, and sure enough that did the trick. However, we never would have known it wasn't the glands if we hadn't taken her in, so I think it's important to have your dog vetchecked if they're scooting. It cost us $40--$20 for the exam and $20 for the draining even though it didn't result in much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts