Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should have seen this coming, but I didn't.....

My sister has two dogs. One is Apollo, a boxer. The other is Champ, a Boston Terrier. Apollo they had from a puppy, but Champ was adopted to them.

Well both dogs are semi trained...but not really. Lol. Champ will jump on you while Apollo will choose when he wants to listen or not. My sister seems content with this, though it would personally drive ME nuts!

Anyhow, here is where I am now fitting into this equation.

My sister has a son who just turned a year old about two months ago and Champ has started peeing in the house. So, being a dog trainer, I offered to take him to see what was up after ruling out that it wasn't a urinary problem (supposedly my sister had him checked, but sometimes I doubt her words). Well anyway, I take him to my house, and no pee. So I give him back to my sister and tell her how to train him, praise him when he goes outside, blah blah blah...

I don't think she followed a dang word of my advice (shes always like this, but she says she did) and since she doesn't really make time for her dogs, Champ is continuing to pee in the house, more specifically on my nephews things. I tell her, it sounds like Champ is jealous and marking to me and she needs to spend more time with him.

Well maybe two days later she comes over and says, "Will you take Champ and either keep him or find him a home? Because he is not stopping and I have done everything "(again, questionable because I don't think she follows anything I say).

Well, what the h*ll am I supposed to do with that? Of course I said yes because I don't trust her to find him a suitable home. But most of all, despite Champ's abusive past and odd personality, he has the pottential to be an AWESOME dog! I don't feel like I could give him to a new home as he is now. My parents are open to it and said that if I train him, which I definately will (first starting with recall, ugg...) they might think about taking him into their home, which would still allow my sister to see him (*twitch*).

I think this is fine, since I'm not a particular Boston Terrier fan. I like them, but I don't have much experiance with them, and boy, are they stinky!

So it looks like Hunter might have a buddy for a bit, it looks like my parents might have a new dog, and it looks like im doing to have a lot of training time on my hands. Ugg...family...why can't we choose them like we do puppies?

I know Boston Terriers are very sensitive to temperatures, I have to watch for eye problems/sensitivity, and he passes stinky gas a lot, and burps, and snorts....lol.

Anything else I should be aware of/make my parents aware of in owning a Boston? I'll definately be doing a research, but I thought some ownership insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yes Bostons can be sensitive to extreme temps...too hot/too cold....but they are also very active little dogs!..my boston loves to play with the flirt pole..and can for the most part keep up with my APBT

The gas just goes with the territory....though looking at his food might help...burping is not really a normal thing if its happening a lot...you may need to think about switching him to something else.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Bostons can be sensitive to extreme temps...too hot/too cold....but they are also very active little dogs!..my boston loves to play with the flirt pole..and can for the most part keep up with my APBT

The gas just goes with the territory....though looking at his food might help...burping is not really a normal thing if its happening a lot...you may need to think about switching him to something else.
Thanks! I definately planned to give him walks but I was afraid of overdoing it. I'm not used to such small dogs to be honest, or dogs with pushed in faces and all its "glories". I'm mostly going off what research has told me, so its good to hear that it may not be as bad as I think.

I'll watch out for the burping, if hes doing it too much. Also, sometimes he has episodes of...it almost sounds like a backward snort, like he is sucking IN air. Is this normal? I thought I heard that they do something like this but I have never heard it before.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They are very intellegent dogs, that think they are about 3 times the size they really are. As my husband puts it, "I've had great danes but Buster is still the biggest dog I've ever owned." I would look into the food in can help with the gas, so does elevating the dog food. Alot of the gas in cause by air going down with the food. Oh and can't forget the reverse sneezing, took me a long time to get use to it. The first thought that would pop into my mind was he was choking, then I'd have to remind myself it was normal.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are very intellegent dogs, that think they are about 3 times the size they really are. As my husband puts it, "I've had great danes but Buster is still the biggest dog I've ever owned." I would look into the food in can help with the gas, so does elevating the dog food. Alot of the gas in cause by air going down with the food. Oh and can't forget the reverse sneezing, took me a long time to get use to it. The first thought that would pop into my mind was he was choking, then I'd have to remind myself it was normal.
Oh good, so he really is reverse sneezing and not dieing? Lol, the first time I heard it I thought he might be choking too.

I'm gonna try elavating his food and my parents might switch his diet to a little something better, so hopefully it will help. But he can clear out a room, its aweful...:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh I almost forgot...

I really don't think this is a problem with all BT's but it is with mine. He gets flem caught in the back of his throat, ecspeciallly when he sleeping. And it some times gets worked loose by food and all comes up. To help I give him a little benadryl before bed, 'cause it can affect his ability to get food down or drink water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts