Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I think I've mentioned this about a dozen times for you and your puppy, but teach her to SETTLE. Put her in a management spot (crate, pen, gated room, etc) and just totally ignore her.

Your need to find something to entertain her at every moment is TEACHING her to be destructive and over the top. She may be genetically predisposed to be busy in general, and she is at the age where all of this is common. But really, you are exacerbating it. Put her away. Don't give her access to things you don't want destroyed.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Your plan sounds fine.

You wrote:
"...the issue is I try a lot of things, stick with it a while, and the issue gets worse so either I'm doing it wrong, or her getting older is opening up new boxes of problems I'm trying to deal with."

You may be doing it wrong, or it could be adolescence bringing about new unwanted behaviors or regression. But also consider this...
Progress will never be linear. There will be moments, or even days, when your dog will seem like an angel and then days when it feels like everything fell apart. This is normal. Also, for any unwanted behavior you are working on extinguishing, there is something called the "extinction burst" in which a behavior that is going away (for example, barking, nipping, chewing, etc) suddenly comes back worse than ever. That is the dog trying to see once more if the behavior will 'work' again.

A lot of owners think that their plan, which was working great, suddenly fell apart and they give up at that point. That bad news is, when people give up at the extinction burst, they are rewarding a STRONGER version of the unwanted behavior. People then try a new method and lo and behold, it works great until it doesn't (another extinction burst), and guess what happens again....

If something is working, stick with it! Even when it feels like everything just went back to ground zero on certain days. I'm not just saying this to be motivational. It's psychology.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.