Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,777 Posts
I agree, teach that dog to chill out! It really is sometimes as simple as ignoring the heck out of them. Also, she is 6 months old. It is not unusual behavior at all. You absolutely do not have to be entertaining her 24/7. An hour or so of training/exercise really is enough on a daily basis, maybe with a few longer excursions or play sessions on the weekends when you have time.

When you're done exercising her, put her in a crate or pen. Give her some chews. Ignore her. If she's really doing an exemplary job of chilling, give her a treat and walk away. If she's watching your every move and seems to be vibrating and waiting for you to do something, she's not really chilling and is just waiting to get a treat. I know, it's a hard distinction to make. Think of it like a toddler being extra still in church to get a treat after the service. Then think of a toddler actually chilling on the couch, doing their own little thing with their own toy, not thinking about the treat. You want the toddler on the couch, and that's what you reward when they're not even thinking about it. Otherwise, you create a chain of events: Act up, get put in "calm down" place, be calm, get treat, act up again.

I had that exact problem with my dog, and the only thing that worked was just ignoring him. He learned that nothing was going to happen unless I wanted it to happen.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.