Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old rescue chihuahua (first dog, 3rd week in now) is settling in and getting the hang of things. The one issue I'm still wrestling with right now is two-fold. He is really dependent on me, even though he likes everyone else in the family but will still be very sad if I'm not home, and so I've tried to hold myself back from adoring him 24/7 so he could get comfortable with not having to be totally reliant on that. When I don't give him attention he lurks over to the other side of my bed where I can't see him and he peeks at me every few minutes to see if I'm ready to play. I don't think he would be doing that if he found another way to entertain himself. The problem I am facing right now is he doesn't seem to like any toys and I've tried many different kinds. What should I do?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota didn't start playing with toys until about a month in. It takes time. To encourage him, I rubbed hot dogs on his toys and praised him heavily any time he so much as sniffed at them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I kind of feel the same way with my guy, we've had him for 1.5months. Arlo really doesn't respond to playing and I've tried to get him to learn fetch a bit, but he doesn't get it, or he isn't interested. He wants me attention ALL of the time, he's super-velcro-dog, but if I'm not just lounging around, I'm not sure how to give him attention since he doesn't seem to want to play.

So yeah, no advice. Sorry. Just wanted to say "I feel your pain!" lol ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You can start by having other family members take over some of the dog care duties such as feeding and walking. They should also use NILIF(sticky at the top of the training forum). This is a great way to start bonding.

Not all dogs are toy crazy and not all dogs know what to do with toys. If you simply need a break from him staring at you, fill a kong with peanut butter or give him a bully stick on his bed. There's a million other option for chews and interactive toys too. Antlers, raw bones, buster cubes, you name it.

As for playing with other toys... Well, I've had Kaki for almost four years now and she didn't start playing with toys/playing tug until about a year ago. One thing I did that helped was busting out the clicker and treats. I'd toss a toy on the floor and click+treat every time she looked at the toy, sniffed the toy, nudged the toy, etc. That gave her a positive association with toys as well as laying the foundation for more play. Fast forward to now, and she's happy to play with a toy with or without me. But it took time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts