Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, hope this isn't too long, but:

I'm in need of some advice. I have a 6.5 year old blind Bullmastiff. 1.5 weeks ago he had his left eye removed. He has his own room in my house that he normally likes, however, a few days after his surgery i had to keep him constantly in there and not let him out except to go to the bathroom bc his stitches were so new, he had alot of swelling and bruising and i was worried he would bump into things in our home. (Which he did and caused bleeding) So we kept him in there where its safe for him to not have anything to bump into.

Well now, he has pretty much free range of the house (except our wood floors, which are only in the living room, and this has ALWAYS been a rule b/c he cuts them up so bad). The only prob is that at night when i put him in his room and during the day when i'm gone he will do whatever it takes to try to get out. He even learned that if he grabs the door knob with his mouth and turns the door comes open. Smart guy!

I know that i probably associated the room with being alone and he may know that every time he goes in the room he is going to be alone. So i started putting him in there while i was home and sitting in there with him to love on him and all. But every day when i put him up he beats on the door and whines. Its breaking my heart.

Also, we have not been going on long walks, so not much exercise, bc the vet told me to keep him inside alot and no outside activity except short walks b/c of the infection he could get from dirt/debris ect. Could this be due to lack of exercise? He is not eating that much either. No treats or anything.... :( Is this depression? He has an appt. on Thursday to remove stitches, so i will def ask the vet but just wanted some general input from people who may have had the same prob....Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Was he just blinded 10 days ago? If so, while dogs do fine with loss of vision, there is an adjustment period and some emotional upset/behavioral issues is to be expected.

Otherwise, he's probably just feeling icky from surgery and stitches and no walks and confinement. I had my appendix removed back when that was a real surgery. (It was done by a heart transplant surgeon. The incision is lovely!) It was a good 6 weeks before I was back to speed and that was a relatively minor surgery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no he's been blind for a little over a year. He had his eye removed due to glaucoma. He is just being very rebellious right now and not listening AT ALL! He doesn't want treats, or food or anything. Idk if he just wants to be pampered right now or what b/c when i get home he follows me around and just lays wherever i am. Doesn't matter if i'm cooking, he will sit and lean against me. Maybe he just doesn't feel well but i worry about him all day bc his main goal every day while we are gone is " get out of this room". Which he normally succeeds. :( so i just sit with him and love on him and hope it gets better. I just dont want him to now think that its ok to get out of his room during the day. That is supposed to be his "safe zone" away from everything where he can chew his bones and toys and escape our wild lab puppy! =) but he wants no part in it.

They each have separate rooms, so should i switch their rooms? i dont want to make him more uncomfortable! ah. just feel bad for him.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I assume that he was fairly active before the surgery, so I imagine he's bored to tears. Ask the Vet if you can give him things to chew on like a Kong or hard rubber bone... as well as playing tug with him... that may be too much ?

Also, ask the Vet about taking him for walks indoors - PetsMart, Petco, Lowe's, Home Depot. And, can you play some nosework games, for example, tossing some pieces of kibble in the house or hiding things for him to search out?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good, i will try to keep him occupied so he doesn't destroy his room. Which he is starting to chew on things he never did before and for his safety i dont want this to happen. i can't watch him while i'm at work and i never had to worry about this before. If he tears the room up and doesn't get hurt its fine b/c it has always been a "dog" room so it doesn't matter but i just worry about him getting hurt in the process.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Ask the vet if he can wear a bandana or a cover over his eyes so he can walk outside without worrying about dust and such (btw, if dust/debris outside is a worry, I definitely wouldn't take him to a Lowes or HD; they'd be way worse than a typical residential street). Maybe one of the soft eye patches you can get at Walgreens/CVS for people.

Try one of those childproof doorknob covers- the kind you have to squeeze and twist to open the knob (assuming round knob, not lever style)

Can you leave a radio on when you're gone?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i leave a radio on and sometimes the tv because his room is right behind the living room and has a door that opens to the living room and one that opens to the dinning room. I want him to feel as if we are home and hear activity so he doesn't feel alone, but i think this is a boredom thing. Its like he plays a game with himself and tries to see how long it will take him to get out lol. bc sure enough every day he greets me at the back door. I feel bad though. Since he doesn't get into any trouble i may just leave him out during the day. I just dont want to condone this behavior and let him think he won the battle, bc at night he needs to stay in there bc he has a tendency to roam every room every so often at night and do it loudly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts