Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was advised by my breeder that when we take our border terrier home I should feed him a wheat-free dog food. She stated any wheat-free dog food will work, but she likes Purina. I know I'm probably over-researching this, but I've also read that Border Terriers are prone to spike-disease and that diet can prevent the symptoms from occurring, some advice being sticking with dry food and avoiding gluten and some other ingredients.

My gut feeling is that Purina is not one of the healthiest choices, but I feel like the breeder should know what's better. I like Merrick and Wellness as "healthier" dog foods

Are there any border terrier owners that can share their opinion?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was advised by my breeder that when we take our border terrier home I should feed him a wheat-free dog food. She stated any wheat-free dog food will work, but she likes Purina. I know I'm probably over-researching this, but I've also read that Border Terriers are prone to spike-disease and that diet can prevent the symptoms from occurring, some advice being sticking with dry food and avoiding gluten and some other ingredients.

My gut feeling is that Purina is not one of the healthiest choices, but I feel like the breeder should know what's better. I like Merrick and Wellness as "healthier" dog foods

Are there any border terrier owners that can share their opinion?
For over ten years I have fed multiple dogs all of the "better" foods, including Merrick and Wellness. Pro Plan Sport Performance is by far the best I have ever used. Weight maintenance, coat quality, energy and most importantly, stool consistency are excellent, particularly in comparison to Wellness. My vet is thrilled with the condition of my two year old terrier, who has eaten PP as her exclusive dry food for over a year. PP Sport does not include wheat. Even if you do decide to feed something else your new dog should eat whatever the breeder was feeding for the first few weeks in order to make the transition less stressful on the system.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
It really depends on what works best for your dog.

Some dogs thrive on lower quality vs higher quality, while others thrive on higher quality vs lower quality.

I would just look at different grain-free options and compare protein and fat levels. If your breeder says Pro Plan works well, you could start with a different higher quality brand that has similar protein and fat levels. But again, depends on the dog and you may have to rotate through some foods before finding the best for your dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts