Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
"I would have been torn up, they were growling and they were headed towards me," Johnson said.
Something tells me the pack of dogs were going for the dog. I've had about 4-5 dogs around me before and they were all trying to take shots at my dog, not me.
I hate seeing these stories because I know I'm going to blame the owner of the dog for not having something to help fend off the dogs. He mentions now he's carrying a gun? Great! How about carrying one BEFORE it happens. People just don't look ahead and think everything is going to be okay. I know I live in a neighborhood with strays and loose dogs, I'm ready to go if one shows up and it's not friendly. He was aware as well of his neighborhood being filled with strays and a dumping ground for dogs. It's ridiculous.
This really didn't have to happen.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Something tells me the pack of dogs were going for the dog. I've had about 4-5 dogs around me before and they were all trying to take shots at my dog, not me.
I hate seeing these stories because I know I'm going to blame the owner of the dog for not having something to help fend off the dogs. He mentions now he's carrying a gun? Great! How about carrying one BEFORE it happens. People just don't look ahead and think everything is going to be okay. I know I live in a neighborhood with strays and loose dogs, I'm ready to go if one shows up and it's not friendly. He was aware as well of his neighborhood being filled with strays and a dumping ground for dogs. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, this. I always ALWAYS either carry a can of bear mace or a tazer with me when out with my dogs, just in case something like this happens.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
In the news footage, Dennis (the owner) states he shot his gun which scared the dogs off. 9 dogs on 1, wouldn't take long for some serious damage to be done.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Uh, just because he wasn't carrying something doesn't put the blame on the owner. I seriously doubt this guy took a stroll with his dog and thought "Maybe 9 dogs will attack mine today." Regardless of how prepared you might be, NINE dogs. I don't know what I would do if nine dogs came at us.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yeah, I'll go ahead and say I don't think anyone gets the blame here. I don't care what sort of weapon you have nine dogs is a large number and would sure be hard to fend off while also trying to keep hold of your own. That is like saying "Gee, sorry helpless young lady, it's YOUR fault you got mugged last night because you weren't carrying a weapon." I'm going to just say this is an unfortunate accident and I'm happy they even lived because nine dogs could have gone a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I feel badly for this family. But what is nagging my mind is if 9 dogs ( he mentioned pits and rotts but who knows ) but large powerful dogs went after this lanky girl and she isn't dead? I would imagine a pack of 9 dogs could make quick work of a dog her size. She has no bites around her neck only hr back end. Its a tragic situation but I think the dogs could have easily killed her. Her wounds although terrible are not what I would expect from a pack of 9 dogs. like they were not going for the kill. Maybe they did not all attack or were trying to chase her off? or maybe she was protecting her owner? Not that any of this matters. Its just been nagging at my mind.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
How can you blame the owner? How do you prepare for an attack by a pack of dogs? The fault here lies with the people who dumped their dogs and with AC for not picking up the strays so this situation never happens. No gun, stick or bear mace is going to do ANY good. The owner of the SD is the victim here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Uh, just because he wasn't carrying something doesn't put the blame on the owner. I seriously doubt this guy took a stroll with his dog and thought "Maybe 9 dogs will attack mine today." Regardless of how prepared you might be, NINE dogs. I don't know what I would do if nine dogs came at us.
NINE dogs.
I don't know how you don't hear or see nine dogs. And that service animal definitely wasn't for deafness and blindness.
He had the gun with him as it says in the video, he probably hesitated to pull it out or from the vibe I get from him, he thought all nine dogs were running over to try to be friends.
I put the blame on him because he didn't expect the unexpected. I'm not paranoid but I do think when I go out that something bad could happen to me or my dog. I don't think of everything possible but I understand something could happen and I have to be ready to react. I have a long stick and a knife, it covers me for most situations, am I ready to take on 9 dogs? I doubt it, but if I was carrying a gun I'd feel pretty good about 9 dogs coming at me or anything coming at me.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Victim blaming is so beyond not cool. Seriously.

"Rapes happen in that alley! YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!"

·
Registered
281 Posts
How can you blame the owner? How do you prepare for an attack by a pack of dogs? The fault here lies with the people who dumped their dogs and with AC for not picking up the strays so this situation never happens. No gun, stick or bear mace is going to do ANY good. The owner of the SD is the victim here.
If you blame AC then you have to go back to the owner and the residents of that neighborhood because according to article they were aware their neighborhood was a dumping place for dogs and didn't bother to call AC to pick them all up so this situation can never happen.
The blame comes back to him no matter what.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Why are you trying to place blame? REGARDLESS of whether he was carrying anything or not, they were attacked by NINE DOGS. Even if they saw them coming and went the other way, the dogs would have most likely followed. Also, some dogs are just not deterred by gun shots, so the dog most likely would have still been attacked.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
D:!

I are da sorry, Jare Bear!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
If you blame AC then you have to go back to the owner and the residents of that neighborhood because according to article they were aware their neighborhood was a dumping place for dogs and didn't bother to call AC to pick them all up so this situation can never happen.
The blame comes back to him no matter what.
Seriously...you are going to blame the owner? Do you think he could have frozen...IN.FEAR??????? I mean good grief...cut the guy some slack. I'm sure you would have gone all ninja on the dogs, and hit all nine of them right between the eyes with an instant kill on each of them.

Such a warm caring heart you have Ed...NOT!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why are you trying to place blame? REGARDLESS of whether he was carrying anything or not, they were attacked by NINE DOGS. Even if they saw them coming and went the other way, the dogs would have most likely followed. Also, some dogs are just not deterred by gun shots, so the dog most likely would have still been attacked.
Granted some dogs aren't deterred by gun shots. Does that mean you aren't going to take shots at them if you see 9 dogs coming? Maybe you'll get lucky like this guy and they all are scared. I can't say everyone will be as lucky as this guy, but if you have a gun, you shoot and you hope you are as lucky as this guy.
You have mace, you shoot it and pray they all are affected by it.
You have a stick, you swing it and pray they don't think it's a toy.
You DON'T just stand there and let your dog get attacked.
I'm really angered over the whole standing there part. That's what I really blame him over. He waits until dogs are all swarmed around his dog to shoot.
If his dog got screwed over and he gave it a legitimate shot to keep it safe then yeah there's nothing you can do.

Seriously...you are going to blame the owner? Do you think he could have frozen...IN.FEAR??????? I mean good grief...cut the guy some slack. I'm sure you would have gone all ninja on the dogs, and hit all nine of them right between the eyes with an instant kill on each of them.

Such a warm caring heart you have Ed...NOT!
I wouldn't say I would go all ninja and kill every dog before it gets to me. But I definitely won't freeze, and I'd give me and my dog my best shot to get out as safely as possible.

I grew up being told expect the unexpected and being taught to react before someone else can. We all just think in different ways and I'll keep blaming him because he didn't give himself and his dog the best possible chance.

·
Registered
596 Posts
EdDTS, So you feel you can take on NINE dogs, while trying to not let yours go, while maybe some changing to attack you? You got one brave tough soul! And a gun will not always save a life.

I'm sure if We were getting attacked by 9 dogs, I will do everything in my power to protect my dogs(With me facing to get attacked to save them), but reality, NINE dogs, ONE person, it is not going to be no walk in the park with flowers and roses!

And just because you won't freeze and get scared, does that mean EVERYBODY falls in that catagory?

~Erica~

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
But I definitely won't freeze
Can you say that for certain? Have you been in this situation?

Even if you can say for certain, not everybody is you, and that doesn't make it any more their fault.

I grew up being told expect the unexpected
I grew up thinking this was one of the dumbest cliches on the planet. If one could be prepared for everything and "expect the unexpected" things like this wouldn't happen.

I guess I should have been prepared for being so sick at such a young age. Or for the broken bones I've endured playing sports.

Your thought process disgusts me.

I'd also like to know what the SD is utilized for. There are plenty of hidden disabilities that can affect reaction time and motor function.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Why or why is there not a "LIKE" button on here? Xeph, once again you said succinctly what I would have liked to have said. I'm sure Ed would have killed the gunman in Colorado had he been there. Wish I was so self assured as he is <<<said with much sarcasm.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
NINE dogs.
I don't know how you don't hear or see nine dogs. And that service animal definitely wasn't for deafness and blindness.
He had the gun with him as it says in the video, he probably hesitated to pull it out or from the vibe I get from him, he thought all nine dogs were running over to try to be friends.
I put the blame on him because he didn't expect the unexpected. I'm not paranoid but I do think when I go out that something bad could happen to me or my dog. I don't think of everything possible but I understand something could happen and I have to be ready to react. I have a long stick and a knife, it covers me for most situations, am I ready to take on 9 dogs? I doubt it, but if I was carrying a gun I'd feel pretty good about 9 dogs coming at me or anything coming at me.
So what if he saw or heard them? The hell is he going to do just because he saw or heard them? The article says he was injured in a work related accident, so what is an injured person with a SD exactly supposed to do when they spy 9 dogs near them? Pick up the dog and run while releasing a hail of gun fire?

No one can expect the unexpected. That's like dressing a crash test suit every time you go driving. I saw a video of a brick flying off a truck and killing a woman in the passenger seat in a car. I don't drive wearing a full hockey mask, so if that happens to me I should have.. expected it?

Ridiculous analogy, but expecting a victim to prepare themselves for being a victim is ridiculous. All of us are pretty mighty until we're in the thick of the same situation.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.