Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 19 month old border collie mix. She's not a big fan of people but she never shows aggression and will approach people but shies away from being touched by most strangers. She'll play ball with them all day long but won't approach a person she doesn't know well for any sort of physical contact. She will play games with children but same deal, doesn't want to be pet by them. We've noticed some very strange behavior with kids though. If a child is picked up by a parent the dog seems to get very anxious and will start barking and jumping up and nipping around the child being held by the parent. She'll also show the same reaction if a parent or adult hugs a child or is in close physical contact with the child. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to how I could deal with this behavior or why the dog is exhibiting this sort of behavior around a child? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My guess is, she thinks the child is being hurt. That or she's just plan confused by the behavior. Dogs usually do not like being picked up, and they usually do not like being hugged, and seeing both of those things happen are causing her to react.
I would try to distract her by asking her for a command, "sit", "down", etc. Try to get her mind off it...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
My guess is, she thinks the child is being hurt. That or she's just plan confused by the behavior. Dogs usually do not like being picked up, and they usually do not like being hugged, and seeing both of those things happen are causing her to react.
I would try to distract her by asking her for a command, "sit", "down", etc. Try to get her mind off it...
Bella is the same way - she tolerates kids okay - prefers to keep a safe distance, but if an adult picks them up or "plays rough" with them, it really upsets her. I figure - like you said - she thinks the adult is "starting trouble" or causing harm to the kids .... or something. Sounds about right.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
All the above. My little dogs do this when my Sister approaches her children in a loud manner or goes to make physical contact of any kind even if it is a hug. I believe they are just being protective of the children.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts