Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned dogs before with my family, but this is my first puppy I have personally owned. I rescued a 14 week old border collie mix (named her Stella) a few weeks ago. (they didn't know what the mix was) We brought her home and she was great for a day. Stella stopped eating the 2nd day and started throwing up. We found out she had parvo. I finally got her back after two weeks at the vet. She is eating again, but she still has diarrhea, which I think is okay for right now because she is walking around and wagging her tail and she is eating. The problems I am having now is I really don't know if she is naturally unactive or if she is still not feeling good. The first day we had her she never barked (even when other dogs did) She doesn't really play fetch with anything, she is just a really calm dog. Which I thought was weird for a border collie.

I'm trying to train her with the clicker method (if there is a better way please let me know) she is very smart, she knows her name and comes to me when I call her, she can sit, and I didn't train her to do this but she will get up and sit by the front door when she has to go to the bathroom. Even though there is a puppy pad there she will still wait as long as she can before going on it. I want to move on with the training and the clicker I got has a training stick built in. I am having lots of trouble with her recognizing the stick. When she accidently touches it with her nose I click and treat her, but she isn't getting it. Is there another way to train her to touch the stick, or should I just keep trying that method?

Also I don't have a fenced backyard. I was told I probably shouldn't take her to the dog park for about 6 months because of the parvo. I'm guessing I can't walk her either because she will go to the bathroom on other peoples lawns. How can I get her exercise? It really bums me that I can't take her to the dog park, I was hoping to work on her fetching skills there..

Thanks

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Slow down. She's a baby recovering from a deadly illness. She needs time to adjust and get better.

Clicker training is the best way to go, but you have to have patience. These things take time. Heck, my adult (possible) collie mix took a cour of months to get sit. Touch is iffy and I started that a month ago.

I wouldn't take a tiny puppy to a dog park to work on fetch anyway. You combine a tiny puppy with much bigger dogs who may resource guard toys and you won't have a puppy anymore. Get a long leash, 25-50' and practice in a field.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I have owned dogs before with my family, but this is my first puppy I have personally owned. I rescued a 14 week old border collie mix (named her Stella) a few weeks ago. (they didn't know what the mix was) We brought her home and she was great for a day. Stella stopped eating the 2nd day and started throwing up. We found out she had parvo. I finally got her back after two weeks at the vet. She is eating again, but she still has diarrhea, which I think is okay for right now because she is walking around and wagging her tail and she is eating. The problems I am having now is I really don't know if she is naturally unactive or if she is still not feeling good. The first day we had her she never barked (even when other dogs did) She doesn't really play fetch with anything, she is just a really calm dog. Which I thought was weird for a border collie.

I'm trying to train her with the clicker method (if there is a better way please let me know) she is very smart, she knows her name and comes to me when I call her, she can sit, and I didn't train her to do this but she will get up and sit by the front door when she has to go to the bathroom. Even though there is a puppy pad there she will still wait as long as she can before going on it. I want to move on with the training and the clicker I got has a training stick built in. I am having lots of trouble with her recognizing the stick. When she accidently touches it with her nose I click and treat her, but she isn't getting it. Is there another way to train her to touch the stick, or should I just keep trying that method?

Also I don't have a fenced backyard. I was told I probably shouldn't take her to the dog park for about 6 months because of the parvo. I'm guessing I can't walk her either because she will go to the bathroom on other peoples lawns. How can I get her exercise? It really bums me that I can't take her to the dog park, I was hoping to work on her fetching skills there..

Thanks
You really, really can not take that dog to the dog park. Please do not be 'burned up' because of it. She likely got ill because someone else didn't quarantine their dog appropriately - don't do it to other people.

That said: Likely, her activity level is because she still feels like crap. It can take a LONG time to recover from parvo. Be patient and gentle with her. Expect her to sleep a lot. She will recover, but out of the hospital doesn't mean she's okay. It's going to take some time.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
A puppy who has just come home from parvo is like a child who's just come home from a medical procedure. Parvo kills, and the fact that your puppy survived it is awesome and not common.
Her road isn't over yet. She'll need a lot of time to just get back to being a puppy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
How wonderful for her and you- she survived!

It is good that you are aware that you can't take her to the dog park. My puppy Bob also survived Parvo. He slept A LOT- 20-22 hours a day- in the weeks following Parvo. I didn't know dogs were still contagious AFTER Parvo. Do you know for how long? I thought it was only 3 or 4 days. Not being able to walk your dog is tough.

I wouldn't be too sad about the dog park- they are not always great places, and sometimes they are very dangerous places for dogs. We don't have dog parks here, but we do go to the soccer field with a 50 foot leach. It's wonderful- the puppies are always 'on-leash' and they feel really free.

Since you've never had a puppy, I wanted to recommend these books by Ian Dunbar. He is a leader in positive dog training.

There's also a sticky on touch in the Dog Training Forum section. Touch is fun- I can hold up a little bear toy and say "Touch" but I tell the children I'm showing off for that my puppies are giving the toy a kiss!

I hope you have fun with her.....puppyhood passes very quickly, and it is important to have fun while training and exercising.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts