Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got my first dog. It is a purebred Border Collie. At 8 weeks old, it is constantly licking it's nose. I haven't heard of this before. Is this a sign of something bad, or will it outgrow it? It licks at least once every 10 seconds. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i have 4 Borders, 2 of which were raised from pups, and i had 2 others that were raised from pups....the licking the nose, i have no idea...it there any discharge, scrapes, burns, anything that might warrant the licking?....could be a stress situation, having just been removed from his siblings and momma.....how long have you had him and where did you get him from?...

as a 1st dog i sure hope you are ready for what the Border will throw your way.....they are super smart, need lots of mental/physical activities, and companionship (are not a dog to be left alone for hrs and expect them to be happy dogs...they need their people).....mine get about 2-3 hrs of extreme playtime at the park (when the weather is good--not too hot), training, asking to do things that works their minds....plus, for about 5 mo out of the yr they do goose work....we have been training for rally and agility and are getting ready to start competing soon.....be prepared....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I agree with tirluc, I think the licking might be due to a little stress, being away from the litter. Also, you described the pup as an it, male or female?

So, what are your plans down the road with your new pup? BC's are very smart, and really need your companionship. I just love my Nelly, and recently brought in Sonny from a bad situation, and both are needing a lot of stimulation. It's also a lot of fun as well, as BC's can play hard, and non-stop. Even after a good hour of solid frisbee, Nell wants more, lol. As for Sonny, being he was malnourished and weak when I got him, he's doing very well, and is probably up to about 95% now. Making a quick recovery, and is blossoming. He loves people and other dogs, as well as kids. We've started his basic obedience as well. And Nell is having a ball with Agility class, she absolutely loves going. So, like tirluc mentioned, be prepared. If you are prepared, you are going to have a lot of fun with your new BC. I sure do have a lot of fun with mine.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Nose-licking is often a "calming signal" or a sign of a little apprehensive about something.

Like if I walk right at Wally, he'll often lick his nose.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He's really young, so lots of things might be worrying him a little.

Congrats on your Border Collie. I think they are awesome dogs. I'd like to own one sometime for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is a male puppy, 8 weeks old, removed from his litter yesterday. I am prepared for what a Border Collie needs. I an outdoors person, and home all day, which is the reason why I wanted an active, loyal dog. I hope he'll outgrow it, like some are saying, maybe it is stress since he was just removed from his mother, and litter yesterday.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Listen, buddy, nobody on these boards gets to adopts an 8-week old pup without posting pictures. Step away from the keyboard and break out the camera already, you scofflaw.

I mean, we can't diagnose the problem without lots of pictures of your pup licking his nose.

ETA: I jumped the gun. Absurdly cute pics here.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I wouldn;t worry about the licking unless you see some other problem or it continues for a while.

Border collies are great dogs. They can learn almost anything.

Heh, frisbees and tennis balls can really really be your friend.. If you teach them to fetch them well.

My last was a border collie mix, she was great staying home alone all day, but she got a workout when I got home (frisbee/ball/stick/whatever) until she was about to drop every single day.

Good luck and take the extra time in the first year to bring your dog up right, no matter how much time and effort it takes. You'll really be glad you did down the road.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The licking sounds like stress. Keep an eye on him and if he acts in the smallest way like he is sick, get to a vet.

As soon as he is old enough and has had his shots get thee hence to Puppy Class. I know SEVERAL Border Collie people and here is what they will tell you:

Socialize your dog. Take him with you. Teach him to go places and see things and get him to puppy classes.

Border Collies are like Potato chips.. you can't stop with just one. :)

Be sure to figure out a job for your dog if you don't have sheep to herd. They love a job. A lot of people traing them in agility (another obsessive thing those 'border collie people' do).

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Socialize your dog. Take him with you. Teach him to go places and see things and get him to puppy classes.
and socialize to the max w/ everything "just a dog"....my young one (the split face) was very well socialized w/ dogs...or at least i thought...they were all BC's w/ one Golden....he hits 7 mo and meets a "just a dog" and went totally nutz trying to get the dog away from the pack....now, after mo of really working w/ him and having to use a soft muzzle for short times (to keep him from hurting the other dogs) he's doing great....but BC's are very clannish....so, extreme socialization w/ others

Border Collies are like Potato chips.. you can't stop with just one. :)
i resemble that remark....i intended to have Shelties till i got my 1st Border (my "angel dog")....that was all she wrote....

Be sure to figure out a job for your dog if you don't have sheep to herd. They love a job. A lot of people traing them in agility (another obsessive thing those 'border collie people' do).
but, really....stay away from flyball (or so i was told)....they have a tendency to become obsessively off the wall nutz (or so i was told)...anyone here do flyball w/ their BC?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
As for flyball, I don't think it's any worse than Agility, lol. And also depends on how far you let them go with their 'off the wall' personality. Some people tend to amp their dogs up just a little too much, and can then be hard to handle. It's a pretty fine line between not enough amperage and too much, lol.

As for the socialization, it's a very good idea. The more, the better. This morning we went to the park to play frisbee, and some other friends showed up as well. We had a total of 10 dogs there playing, 2 of us playing frisbee, one playing ball, and one guy just brought his dog to go on a walk. I had 3, another gal had 3, and the 2nd gal had 3 as well. A pretty good mixture of breeds as well. And they all got along great. lol. Only one small problem, Sonny wanted to hump all of them, lol. But to keep him from doing it, all I had to do was throw the frisbee for Nell and he chased after her, lol. We had a great morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts