Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Make the booties associates with treats. Put them on, give a great treat, take them off. Do that again a little while later. Each time, leave them on a little bit longeer (1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins, etc). Repeat until when she sees the booties, she comes running to you with excitement :) Or at least doesn't hate them...

Road salt and ice are harder on the dog's feet than snow, its not so much the temperature as the snow balling up between their toes and the salt irritating their skin and ice can be sharp. If the dog never does tolerate the booties, you could try some of the paw protecting waxy type coating like Mushers Secret or I have seen some other brands in the pet store. They prevent the build up between the toes and help protect the paw pads from salt.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I recently read an interesting article about how the dog's unique circulatory system in their feet keeps them from freezing in snow and ice. It's recapped here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2085646/Dogs-paws-warm-frozen-ground-special-circulation-system.html

In sum -- their paws have a rapid rewarming system and really don't need protection! (except maybe against salt -- buy the dog friendly stuff/wipe her paws when she comes in!)
This might be true, but it still doesn't stop the dog from feeling pain from the frozen ground. I have a dog that in cold enough temperatures, -8F and below, will lift her feet up like a rabbit or lay on her side and refuse to get up and move because her feet hurt too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts