Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's thoughts on:

The Art of Raising a Puppy;

Before and After getting your puppy;

The other end of the leash;

101 dog training tricks.

I'm training my pup and wanting some insight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Art of Raising a Puppy is by the Monks of New Skete, who I absolutely cannot stand. They have somewhat toned down the nature of their training in the last edits of their books, but they are in large part responsible for the popularization of the idea that because grey wolves are dogs closest living ancestors, we can learn a great deal about dog behavior by looking at wolf behavior- it's important to be the "pack leader" and use similar discipline techniques as wolves do (such as the "alpha roll", where dogs are flipped onto their backs and held) and always be on the lookout for dominance-driven behaviors and all the bunk. Unfortunately, the books are marketed (titled) well, and the style of writing is appealing, and so they've done very well. Also unfortunately, a lot of the information is outdated, overly heavy handed, and not at all based in actual science, but rather in the *extensive experience* and opinions of the writers. They give an inaccurate model of dog behavior/cognition (ie- dogs are like wolves) and do not talk at in terms of learning theory.

Before and After Getting Your Puppy is by Ian Dunbar. Not a book I personally own or have read, but his information is good and a lot of the way we now raise pups (puppy socialization, luring behaviors with food, group training classes) was heavily influenced by him.

The Other End of the Leash is by Patricia McConnel. She's wonderful. Very approachable writing style with very good information that challenges people to consider what dog's motivations really are.

101 Dog Training Tricks is by Kyra Sundance. She's great- good suggestions for training. She does a lot of good work in trying to get people to do more with their dogs.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Look for a copy of "Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas. Also, books by Pam Miller are good. Karen Pryor is the 'original' source for clicker training.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Based on the posts of yours I've read and remembered, I'd recommend:
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
How to Behavior So Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin
Maybe one of Denise Fenzi's books or Paul Owens' The Dog Whisperer (not the CM version).

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Other End of the Leash is a MUST HAVE. Fantastic book and I learned so much. It's not about training so much as behavior and how the human behavior affects the dog.

Before and After You Get Your Puppy are great but if you read them don't get tripped up in the whole "OMG I didn't do it exactly right!" There's a lot there and it's very specific and none of us are quite as perfect as Dunbar would like.

Forget the Monks of New Skete as other people have mentioned.

101 Tricks is great -- lots of info there and lots of fun things to do with your dog! I'd also recommend The Idiot's Guide to Dog Tricks. It's laid out and explained well. And it's written by a friend of mine and her daughter, which makes it extra cool for me.

Also recommended: The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller (teaches you the basics and some troubleshooting if there are issues), Bonding With Your Dog: A Trainer's Secrets for Building a Better Relationship by Victoria Schade, and Play With Your Dog by Pat Miller and/or Play Together, Stay Together by Patricia McConnell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts