Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm ordering a textbook from Amazon, so I want to take advantage of the free shipping and get a dog-book, but I can only justify one and can't decide which one to get:

The Other End of the Leash - Patricia McConnel

Reaching the Animal Mind - Karen Pryor

Don't Shoot the Dog - Karen Pryor

My Dog the Paradox - The Oatmeal

Any other suggestions would be welcome too. I already own Fiesty Fido (Patricia McConnel), On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Turid Rugaas), and A Dog Named Boo (Lisa Edwards)

·
Registered
293 Posts
When Pigs Fly! Training Success with Impossible Dogs - Jane Killion

How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves - Dr. Sophia Yin

I have TOEOTL, and love it. When Pigs Fly and TOEOTL are my favorite.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I vote for: The other end of the Leash, b/c I still go back and read mine.

I think you can get the Karen Pryor books from the library and read them once. I don't know the Oatmeal book.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would say Other End of the Leash or Don't Shoot the Dog. You can't go wrong with either. OEOTL is definitely more dog related while Dont Shoot the Dog is more general training related.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Depends on what you want.

The Other End of the Leash, and Don't Shoot the Dog (haven't read the others), while GREAT books, are more about general dog training theory & dog behavior. If you want a book on the specifics of the training process, a book like "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller would be a better choice, IMO.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. The Other End of the Leash is currently on its way to me!

I vote for: The other end of the Leash, b/c I still go back and read mine.

I think you can get the Karen Pryor books from the library and read them once. I don't know the Oatmeal book.
It is a coffee table book. Dog related entertainment, rather than information. (Makes me tear up every time).

Depends on what you want.

The Other End of the Leash, and Don't Shoot the Dog (haven't read the others), while GREAT books, are more about general dog training theory & dog behavior. If you want a book on the specifics of the training process, a book like "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller would be a better choice, IMO.
Well, I intent to read all of these books eventually - I enjoy reading about behavior and theory, and I find it helps me with the actual training. I want to know WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, not just what to do. :) I've gotten the Karen Pryor books out of the library before, but they are always in high demand. If there is a waitlist for library books, I can't renew them. But thanks for reminding me about the library, I will definitely be getting some more books out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have "Don't Shoot the Dog" which has some really strong pieces of advice, however they are far between. I got the most out of "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. That being said I find myself watching a lot of videos on YouTube; Kikopup, Tab289, Zak George, and Victoria Stilwell. By mixing and matching the different trainers I find myself learning little "tricks" to improve my training methods. For instance Zak George advised using four repetitions of an exercise at first and having a goal of stay for 30 seconds. By watching kikopup I learned a lot but Zak made me realize that I needed to be more patient and to slow down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know its not on your leash but "bones will fall from the sky: depending our relationship with dogs" by Suzanne Clothier is my favourite book. Suzanne clothier is my favourite person in the first place, and her book is just amazing. Its more for entertainment, but it has some awesome things in it. Great read :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
398 Posts
I bought a book the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Dog-Breed-Guide/dp/1405394668

It's a great book. It's not a training guide exactly, but it has training tips and the domestic dog history, it helps you to teach basic commands and it also talks about common disorders and diseases. I love the images, they're fantastic. This book is pretty great. I like it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I loved The Other End of the Leash! I read it very recently and still got a lot out of it, even though I'm not really new to dog ownership anymore.

Edit: I'm going to encourage my fiancé to read it, prior to us getting a dog together. It's an engaging read, without watering down substance. I think it will appeal to his rational, science mind. :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
So glad you chose The Other End of the Leash - it's what I would have recommended! I love the combination of information and story telling that McConnell uses. I have read some dog books that were so dry that I couldn't get through them - I felt like I was back in school again! lol

And I love The Oatmeal!! <3

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Books shipped within a couple hours of placing my order!

I've also added all of the books recommended to my library list. I'm downloading an e-copy of And Bones Would Rain From The Sky onto my tablet right now! I can't believe that the library had a copy (even an e-copy) available when I searched it just now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Books shipped within a couple hours of placing my order!

I've also added all of the books recommended to my library list. I'm downloading an e-copy of And Bones Would Rain From The Sky onto my tablet right now! I can't believe that the library had a copy (even an e-copy) available when I searched it just now.
I think you'll really enjoy bones would rain from the sky! Idk why but it was extremely touching, made me a little teary eyed :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, but its not in colour. Plus, I like The Oatmeal and want to support his valiant efforts against things that suck. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts