Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

I was hoping you guys could help me out with some ideas. I have been wanting to make some illustrated books and maybe a short graphic novel or two focusing on teaching kids and youth about responsible dog ownership. I remember reading a series called Vet Volunteers when I was in elementary school that I learned about puppy mills from, and it was a real eye opener. This is largely a chance to grow as an artist for me, but I would love to make something like this for my young cousins and the middle school students I work with so they can learn more about being responsible dog owners and/or repeat information to their parents so that their parents learn more.

I've had a few ideas for topics, like dog safety, where to get a dog from, and how dogs think, but I'd love to hear from you all! What age groups and lesson would you want covered? What issues in the dog world should be grout to light to kids/youth? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The biggest problem I see that kids don't understand is how to safely approach a dog, both strange and familiar. I think it would be wonderful if something that would catch children's eyes and help them remember this for not only their safety but the dogs as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I agree, I have several family members who have instructed their child to hug my fear reactive dog to show him that they're friendly. Fortunately, I was around to stop them before they hugged him, but it made it more clear to me how important it is to teach children and adults how to safely approach a dog.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree, it can be scary sometimes. I've had some close calls myself, and it would be a dream if we could educate every kid AND adult how to be safe.

As far as dog safety: something else I've noticed with children and had to correct my own daughter, is picking up dogs. Now granted, my moms is to big to pick up, but it can still be scary to the dog, as well as smaller breeds or puppies, they could be injured if not picked up correctly.

Some say teach your kids not to pick them up, and I agree completely, however, I think even better would be to teach them how to correctly, without injury to dog or child, pick up an appropriate size dog.

I bring this up due to my grandmother is in the process of finding a small breed for a companion, my daughter is at her house often, and its something that I'll be working on, is when and how to handle a dog.

Just another idea. I could on forever, I think children and dogs can be a great thing together with the proper tools and knowledge.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great idea!

I would suggest throwing in somewhere about not throwing their hands up in the air when approached by a dog. I don't know how many times I've seen kids get knocked down because they put their hands up when the dog approached so it jumped up on them. I find myself always having to say, "Keep your arms down. They think you're telling them to jump up." to kids because they haven't been taught that.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Its true... Now that I have a small one I'm shocked by the number of people who want to pick him up and sometimes start before I can give my answer. Luckily Pete is super friendly, I can see by his face he doesn't like being picked up by strangers (he doesnt like even being picked up by me) but he will tolerate it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Its true... Now that I have a small one I'm shocked by the number of people who want to pick him up and sometimes start before I can give my answer. Luckily Pete is super friendly, I can see by his face he doesn't like being picked up by strangers (he doesnt like even being picked up by me) but he will tolerate it.
People are crazy. Who really just picks up a strangers dog. I help out at my mom's bestie's kennels, and I won't even pick those dogs up. Unless its absolutely necessary for vetting, bathing, etc. And in these cases I always talk to the owner and find out the best way to approach said dog and handle him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts