Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been giving our dogs rawhide bones because they love to chew (what dog doesnt LOL) Last night I read the thread on here about how bad the rawhides are and I am wondering about bones.

I know you dont cook them, But I have not been wanting to give our dogs raw bones :( We do feed raw food with bone ground in, but we feed the dogs and take the dishes away to be washed right away. I am concerned about where they eat the bones? They are mostly inside dogs, they go out to potty and out to play if we are home, but we give them the rawhide to chew in the house to keep them busy LOL. I am not comfortable allowing them to chew the bones in the house and not that comfortable with them having them outside as we also have a 2.5 year old and a 4 year old (people kids LOL)and the dogs really like to play on our deck.

I am also concerned about what bones they should have? We have a Jack russell and a Yorkie...I have read chicken bones are the best and this is what concerns me with the dogs chewing raw bones everywhere. And I am afraid of giving the bones to such a small dog :confused:

Is there something else we can give them that has no danger of making our kids sick?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I honestly wouldn't want raw chicken bones all over my carpet, either =/ It seems very unsanitary, especially if you've got kids. Not to mention the fact that the carpet would look terrible after a while with all the juice staining it..

I think your best bet would be to get a Nylabone or a Kong toy and stuff it with goodies. Those keep them busy just as well as a bone or rawhide, and aren't messy or unhealthy. I bake my own dog treats to stuff in the Kong toy, and sometimes I stuff a little cheese or peanutbutter in there, too. It's fun watching them devise plans on how to get the biscuit out of there, lol!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My dogs get raw chicken wings and drummies; they clean up every scrap...literally. I usually give them to them on their beds (in living room), or in their kennels. Either way, they are usually always supervised, and clean up is minimal, because the fabric they 'bed on' is easy to wipe off with a lysol wipe, or something of the like.

I really don't care for Nylabones anymore, especially after some of the stories I have heard of the dogs actually ingesting some of the 'plastic' material and owners losing the dogs, or having to pay alot of $ for surgery...They AREN'T indestructible like many people claim.

Kongs, on the other hand, are a good bet, but don't do much for the teeth.

If you are really concerned about your dog's dental health, and you are already on RAW, I would just add some marrow bones, or something for them to chew; the bones you give them don't necessarily have to be entirely for 'eating' purposes, as they already get their staple food from their ground meat. Marrow, or other pet raw bones, are alot easier to 'maintain' as there won't be nearly as much meat or fat on them, and when the dog's are done chewing, you can just pick them up and toss them away, and spray the area with a disinfectant if you like.

On a side note, mine also get the occasional rawhide...and none of them have died yet; Again, though, they are supervised, and I take any 'chokeable' peices away.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will go into the butcher and get some bones for them to just chew and then give them a specific place to have it (like in the kennel)

We do have a kong already and Maggie loves it (esspecially stuffed when we go out LOL) but she doesnt really chew it...plus I want something for her teeth. I have taken all of the rawhides away from her because she chews them and then throws up the pieces....so I am guessing they are a danger to her. :(

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
The main issue I have with rawhide is that the dogs will soften them up and may try to swallow a large chunk.

MY locale butcher cuts me some beef marrow bones to size and saves them for me. I keep them frozen till I'm ready to give them to the dogs. Most of them still have a bit of meat on them and once they clean that down they lose interest. But I will say it keeps the teeth looking white.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I just called our one and only butcher :( and the marrow bones are 2.99kg or 1.39lb

Just wondering what everyone else pays for bones :confused:. The butcher that I buy our dogfood from is about a half an hour away and someone else picks up my dog food order. Might just have to give them a call LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
That seems like a decent price. Maybe even a bit less per pound than I paid. I usually try to get a dozen at a time and freeze them. I will then thaw and give one a week.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I bought some bones today (not from the butcher, and the grocery store is way more...so I guess the butcher is cheap LOL)

The dogs love them :) we let them out on the grass with the marrow bones, and they sure got dirty. I washed them off and put them in a zip lock bag...is it ok to give them to them again? there is no way they can eat them all in one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts