Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok my question is were do you people get meaty bones at. I mean the ones that are chewed for a long time....not chickin backs or turkey necks. I'm having a hard time finding them.

Also what kind of bone.....the more I read the the more confused I get....some say no knuckle bones others say knuckle bones....no rib bone no rib bones yes

Arrrggggggg

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sorry ... not sure ... just trying to bump up your question. I do not give my dogs real bones anymore. I use edible Nylabones because I do not feed raw. :)

When I wanted to look for raw bones I looked in the grocery or meat section. I gave the wrong kind like heavy cow bones. I was lucky and my dogs never broke a tooth. :/

Maybe someone will come along with an answer......

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can sometimes get bones from the quirky grocery store in my town. I won't use the word hippie, but it might apply... If you don't have a little place like that you might have to ask the butcher at your local grocery store if they have any, sometimes they don't even sell them if they get something that has to be deboned. I always get them from my university's meat store, but I realize thats not an option for most people. Try googling butcher in your area, you can buy several and just stick them in the freezer if its a bit of a drive from you.

As for what kind of bone to get that is a highly debatable topic. How big is your dog? my 2 are in the 40-50 lb area and I give them 4 or 5 inch leg bones. I keep them in the freezer for the hot months and let them chew them on the porch. They last forever once they get all the marrow and meat off. There are some hanging around on the porch that are well over a year old that they still love to chew on! I know people say that the leg bones are too hard, but my dogs have beautiful teeth and I believe its from chewing on those bones!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I buy them at grocery stores and at pet food stores that carry frozen raw food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts