Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maltese is now about 11 weeks old and he LOVES bones... and I mean really LOVES...

He normally is quiet and rarely barks or cries, but when you give him a bone (chicken leg bone), he will growl if you try to take it away. Is this normal?

Also, he appears to be eating somewhat into the marrow of the bones. Is that normal? Is it unhealthy?

Lastly, how often should I give him a bone? I have a plastic/toy one, but he never chews or plays with it. and I think giving him a bone like 2-3 times a week maybe spoiling his appetite for his normal puppy chow.

Any suggestions/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chicken bones can splinter and cause serious harm to a dog.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Chicken bones can splinter and cause serious harm to a dog.
Only cooked bones are harmful. Cooked splinters, but raw crunches.

The growling is just resource guarding, which is normal, but can be fixed. He is saying, "This is a VERY yummy bone, Please don't take it away! Mine!".

As long as the bone is raw, the marrow will be great for them. My maltese is on a raw diet and he is able to completely crunch down chicken bones and even up to to pork and venison rib bones. Giving a chicken wing 2-3 times a week is AMAZING for their dental health, I would keep it up, but do it as a replacement for a meal. I also wouldn't give more than 2-3 times a week, because you don't want to make his diet out of balance.

Also, what is his normal kibble?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only cooked bones are harmful. Cooked splinters, but raw crunches.

The growling is just resource guarding, which is normal, but can be fixed. He is saying, "This is a VERY yummy bone, Please don't take it away! Mine!".

As long as the bone is raw, the marrow will be great for them. My maltese is on a raw diet and he is able to completely crunch down chicken bones and even up to to pork and venison rib bones. Giving a chicken wing 2-3 times a week is AMAZING for their
dental health, I would keep it up, but do it as a replacement for a meal. I also wouldn't give more than 2-3 times a week, because you don't want to make his diet out of balance.

Also, what is his normal kibble?
His normal food is the Purina puppy chow. Supposedly a balanced diet, but I don't know much about their food. The breeder recommended it to me. I also have some vitamins snacks and he sure loves cheerios.

He seemed to like the marrow quite a bit in the chicken bones, but I never knew that cooked ones are the ones that are dangerous. Wouldn't giving him raw chicken be also just as harmful?? For instance salmonella or some kind of food poisoning. How would you suggest giving him the bone/wing? And do you do it with meat on it?

THanks thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Puppy Chow is actually a pretty low quality food with some harmful ingredients, I would definitely look into something of higher quality.

Raw bones are not harmful like cooked bones. Cooked will splinter, raw will just crunch down. Dogs stomachs were designed to consume raw meat and bone so they will be fine. Their stomach acids are strong enough that most bacteria won't affect them. I would leave the meat on the wing, but take some of the skin off if possible, it is fatty.

You should know that salmonella poison can happen with kibble too. There have been several people sick this year due to kibble salmonella.

If it helps your worries, my 8 pound maltese and my 3.5 pound yorkie have been on 100% raw since February with no problems. They have done great with pork ribs, beef ribs, whole quail, chicken drumsticks, emu meat, sardines, etc so I am sure a chicken wing a few times a week will be fine, just don't feed raw within 7-8 hours of kibble, since they digest at different rates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh. I see.

Thanks for the tips. I will definetly look into better quality food. I figured it wasn't too great considering it costed like $12 for like 5 lbs of food.. lol
I am just not sure if I give him all raw food, if it will really dirty the house up or if I will even be able to maintain him a balanced diet.

Do you have any suggestions to that?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Most feed on a blanket or towel. Some feed outside. Your pup wouldn't eat much so it would be easy to feed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most feed on a blanket or towel. Some feed outside. Your pup wouldn't eat much so it would be easy to feed.
ohh haha. Yea. I usually feed him on a blanket or in his food bowl but he loves taking it somewhere to knaw on it. The way he eat also, he moves it around quite a bit. I assume you wash his face afterwards?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ahhh. I see.

Thanks for the tips. I will definetly look into better quality food. I figured it wasn't too great considering it costed like $12 for like 5 lbs of food.. lol
I am just not sure if I give him all raw food, if it will really dirty the house up or if I will even be able to maintain him a balanced diet.

Do you have any suggestions to that?
It is pretty easy to maintain a balanced diet on all raw, all you need is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% another organ like kidney or spleen. Both my dogs have furry beards so I do wash his face if he eats a big meal. Short hair dogs will probably require little to no clean up. If you feed outside the sun and ants will take care of the mess lol.

It is so amazing that you are considering raw! Even if you don't end up doing it (it doesn't fit into everyone's lifestyle), a couple of chicken wings here and there will be great for him. If you don't do raw, I would pick a new kibble and adjust him to it over the course of about 2 weeks. I really like the website dogfoodadvisor.com for choosing kibbles. It lists foods from one to five stars and explains the ingredients in a very understandable way. They review dry food, wet food, and some commercial raw too.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o_O, i never knew purina was that bad. damn. I think I am going to have to definitely switch to something more nutritious. Thanks for the advice. BTW, what is the liver and spleen for? I have this nutritional snack that has dried poultry liver that he does somewhat eat, but what are those for?

The outside thing brings up another concern. Whenever I bring him outside, he frequently likes to lick/eat/chew stuff on the ground like dirt, grass or even like ants. Is that normal? why is he doing that?

(I have been assuming that he eats taht stuff because he is hungry, but sometimes he does it when hes just ate too. I am pretty sure dirt doesn't taste that good, but am i wrong? lol)

·
Registered
400 Posts
ohh haha. Yea. I usually feed him on a blanket or in his food bowl but he loves taking it somewhere to knaw on it. The way he eat also, he moves it around quite a bit. I assume you wash his face afterwards?
I'm a cheater, I actually use a grind that's all meat and to the PMR ratios. It's called Blue Ridge Beef. I just wipe his mouth with a wet paper towel. There's none left though. He licks his bowl clean!

You just have to train them to eat on the towel. If he moves it off pick it up and put it on the towel again. He'll learn after a while.

·
Registered
400 Posts
o_O, i never knew purina was that bad. damn. I think I am going to have to definitely switch to something more nutritious. Thanks for the advice. BTW, what is the liver and spleen for? I have this nutritional snack that has dried poultry liver that he does somewhat eat, but what are those for?

The outside thing brings up another concern. Whenever I bring him outside, he frequently likes to lick/eat/chew stuff on the ground like dirt, grass or even like ants. Is that normal? why is he doing that?

(I have been assuming that he eats taht stuff because he is hungry, but sometimes he does it when hes just ate too. I am pretty sure dirt doesn't taste that good, but am i wrong? lol)
Liver and spleen are just different organs that have different nutrients in them. For example, liver is high in Vitamin A.

As far as eating odd things, who knows. Dogs are odd. Grass might indicate a upset stomach though. It will make ghem throw up sometimes which gives them relief. He's still a puppy so teach him the leave it command to not eat them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it weird that in the 3 weeks that he has been back, that I haven't seen him throw up yet?

What does throwing up look like? I tried youtubing it but that didn't work out really. Who records this stuff? Lol

Also, how do you train your puppies? For tricks and peeing its kind of easy to bring a treat with you, but for other things like not biting people or not licking people and of course to like command them to not eat random stuff. Do you do the same thing? Award him like treats after he does it? Do you have to do it immediately?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it weird that in the 3 weeks that he has been back, that I haven't seen him throw up yet?

What does throwing up look like? I tried youtubing it but that didn't work out really. Who records this stuff? Lol

Also, how do you train your puppies? For tricks and peeing its kind of easy to bring a treat with you, but for other things like not biting people or not licking people and of course to like command them to not eat random stuff. Do you do the same thing? Award him like treats after he does it? Do you have to do it immediately?
Throw up depends. Sometimes it's just chunky undigested kibble, just liquid, foam, etc. It does take a good amount of grass for it to happen though.

As far as training we actually went to a puppy class at PetSmart. It might be something you want to look into. Our trainer was good and it was great socialization. For teaching leave it it was taught two ways. First an object would be put in a aisle and you would walk past it and say leave it when the dog didn't go for it. You then treated for it. Then a treat would be placed in front of the dog and you would say leave it and if he didn't go for it you give him a DIFFERENT treat for a reward. You might want to try to find a video of it. It's hard to explain.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The liver and and spleen or kidney are necessary to make sure the raw diet is balanced. They are full of vitamins and minerals that just meat and bone don't have. The reason you need different kind of organs is because they have different amounts of vitamins in them. You need 10% organs total, half liver, and the other half a secreting organ. I just said spleen and kidney because those are the only ones I can think off the top of my head lol. Heart is technically an organ, but it is counted as meat so it won't count towards the percentage. When feeding raw though you transition over the period of a few months, so if you were to start now you wouldn't add in organ meat until probably after the new year. You start from blandest to richest, so chicken, then turkey, then pork, then fish, then beef. Since beef is very rich, once they are used to that for a few weeks you can add in organs like heart, liver, kidney, spleen, etc. Eggs are very rich too, so that is also a good time to introduce them. Every time you add in a different protein, just let them adjust for a few weeks, and then add in the next one. I started in February and my dogs can now handle all the "normal" proteins, but they are currently getting used to Emu meat. It is very rich so my dogs are still getting used to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts