Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog loves chewing sticks, so I figured it is time for me to buy him a bone. However, it is confusing to me because I hear how I should avoid rawhide. People recommend preparing bones or boiling them and I really don't want any part in that. Can someone recommend a bone that is healthy for my dog, tasty and long lasting and one I can go to a store and buy or buy online?

He has a nylabone, but would enjoy something thats more of a bone material then the hard plastic/rubber. I've looked at Petsmart and see different bones such as sterilized bones, bully sticks, meaty beef bones. How do I know what to get?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Never give a dog any cooked bone. It's cooked bones that are dangerous. The best bones to give your dog are raw, meaty bones. A few choices would be breef rib bones, chicken or turkey necks, thighs, breasts, legs. Pretty much any raw bone that's too large for the dog to swallow whole. And, if your pup is an aggressive chewer it's probably a good idea to stay away from the weight bearing bones of larger animals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zoey will die for a rawhide bone. I think she likes it even better than peanut butter. And she really likes peanut butter.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Yep, raw bones. For recreational bones, we either give shank bones that are still quite meaty with the marrow inside or (from the grocery store) we can get a bag of "soup bones", which are just beef bones for making stock...or giving to dogs LOL

As a special treat, our pups LOVE pigs feet. The pig skin really shines up their teeth too.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
NEVER EVER give a dog a cooked or smoked bone. Bones should ONLY be given raw, should be large enough that the dog can't get it all in his mouth at once and given ONLY when you can supervise the dog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. So, where exactly can I buy a raw bone? Only from a grocery store or do pet stores sell these?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Grocery store, the pet stores overcharge for RMB's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You might think about giving Deer antlers too.. I hear those are supposed to be very long lasting and safe.
Where do we procure deer antlers from? Or do we first teach the dog to help us hunt the deer, then give them the antlers? :p :D

I saw a 3 yr old dog once who was given a raw bone for the first time, and he literally stood there staring at it, since he'd never seen one before and didn't know what to do with it LOL.

Our puppy chews a cow hoof which is smoked and yummy, and lasts a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts