Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start my dogs on mostly un-ground whole meats but most of the meat is beef and pork. I was thinking of adding bone meal to the food for the calcium and phosphorus that they need. I am also going to start feeding ground meats with bone as well. What are some thoughts on the bone meal.

PS I have tried egg shells as well but one of my girls won't eat them.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Why not use actual bone? Meaty bone cuts like in poultry, fish, rabbit, pork, etc.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I know stuff like chicken backs, chicken/turkey/duck necks, chicken/duck feet pretty much any sized dog will just eat it all up bones and all.

I particularly like chicken/duck feet since they have glucosamine and are also pretty cheap. Duck feet goes for $0.99/lb here. I've also heard good things about beef back ribs. Even with marrow bones, my dog, who's not really much of a chewer, will still work through the spongy bone to get to the marrow if he has to.

Also you mentioned pork. Just making sure are you freezing the pork first? Raw pork may contain worm larvae and you'd have to freeze it for almost a month or more to kill them depending on the thickness of the pork. Even though trichinosis have been greatly reduced in domesticated swine nowadays it still seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Also you mentioned pork. Just making sure are you freezing the pork first? Raw pork may contain worm larvae and you'd have to freeze it for almost a month or more to kill them depending on the thickness of the pork. Even though trichinosis have been greatly reduced in domesticated swine nowadays it still seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
There is no reason to worry about pork in a supermarket that is intended for human consumption. If you get wild boar, live in a third world country, or buy it from a sketchy foreign market or roadside stand then you might want to think twice. Regular USA supermarket pork does not have worms. Trich is not an issue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pork comes to me frozen. I can't use fish because my dog hates it ( I have a hell of a time getting the fish oils into her) I can try the chicken backs again.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sarayu, since we live in the same town, might I suggest you check out - http://www.courtlyncustomdogfood.com/ I get most of my PMR here, its very decent priced. Unfortunately, you can't see their menu or specials unless they take you on as a customer, which I'm not sure they are at the moment.. but they do have distributors now.

Otherwise, I buy cheap cuts from Save On Foods occasionally too.

Also, Save On sells frozen sardines in the frozen fish bin.. in a bag, I feed those as well and thats how my dogs get their oily fish... sometimes they have mackerel, smelt, etc.

Tailblazers & The Bone & Biscuit in Sherwood Park sell a wide variety of very good, high quality premade raw too.. I feed a couple of them occasionally as well. They also sell stuff like elk necks, chicken necks, etc..

The Save On Foods on Baseline road usually has turkey necks, you get like 3 or 4 necks for $5 bucks, their huge and can easily be cut up into three peices... turkey wings, drumsticks, and half chickens usually go for about $5 or $6 dollars as well. I find beef and pork ribs on sale occasionally too, or any meats really that are nearing expiry and go on for cheap.

Good luck !

EDIT: sorry just read your dog doesn't like fish, so scrap the frozen sardines then... try using fish oil supplement, many people do that as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am actually now getting all of my food from Courtlyn, my lab mix refuses to eat anything that has fish or smells like fish, I try to use Omega 3 capsules and just poke a hole in them to let the oils out but she really hesitates to eat it, I really don't know what to do in that case. They love the feet that we get from Courtlyn, so I guess that I can just use those in the boneless meals. My boss is actually thinking of becoming a distributor for them (I am a groomer and we are opening a daycare and retail outlet sometime in November)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ok right on then, that's awesome. I love Courtlyn. I guess we may have seen eachother then on delivery days! I have been ordering from them since April, and man am I ever glad I found them.

Good thing about Courtlyn's ground mixes is that most of them contain bone, so your definitely getting some bone in those.. I buy literally everything off of Courtlyn's menu.. and they have a lot of variety of boney meals.. such as duck & chicken necks, the chicken, duck and goose feet, pork riblets, and I have bought their whole chickens, rabbits and ducks and I butcher them and my dogs have been able to eat all the bones from those. So they have a lot of variety for digestable boney stuff... My freezer is packed with chicken and duck necks, I always keep those on hand for convenient boney meals, plus they're great for cleaning those teeth!

Hmmm.. about your picky fish eater.. I guess my only other suggestion would be to stuff the fish capsule into something yummy, or maybe even some ground food, keep it hidden as much as possible and don't poke it or anything and just see if he will just swallow it down with food? But I'm sure you've probably tried that too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts