Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have Homero for around 5 years now, but I still put the question in this thread as I feel it is a basic question from which other basic questionsmay arise.

One think kinda surprised me since I had the dog is that I expected the dog to like me petting him. Long ago I figured he rarely cares about it, he is pretty much indiferent. Another thing I hoped he liked was some silly supposedly dog "cookies" but he couldn´t care less about them xD.

So generaly I and my dog has co-existed, with my dad and mom and even the lady that works in my house kinda being more conected to him. Dad took him to walks, mom was around all day (so he could follow her all day!) and Bertha (lady that works in my house (No two and a half men jokes! :p ) )pretty much spoils him with food from time to time xD.

I was generaly trusted and did have taken him for walks on times and he had responded (although the very first 2 times littl after we bought him, he put on a fight. I thought it had to do with dominance, but I read that´s a debunked theory over all, so well, in any case, he likes walks now xD). Hum so now some months ago my father and my mother got divorced, and I have been walking my dog a lot more. Around once every 2 days or maybe 2 every 3.

Oh yeah, before my parents splitting I was the only one who could take him out to RUN xD. For some time he didn´t like it (he hided xD) but then he liked it a lot every time he saw me with running cloth he started getting excited and all.

Well, in any case, I am trying to bond with him again and I pretty much joined this forum hoping you can give me ideas :) . I know he likes that I walk him, so that´s a start. I know he is indiferent to petting, so that´s pretty much worthless (maybe I am doing something wrong on that though?). And I think he likes watermelon, and there are probably a couple of treats I should be able to get a hang on to give him. He loves pizza (vegetarian cause I am vegetarian :D (meat can be too strong for his stomach sometimes anyways, right?) ) so maybe one day I should try to trian him with a load bunch of pizza xD.

Oh, other things of him: when I call him, he almost always comes (exceptions when he knows there is something he wouldn´t want sometimes (like when we have to put him outside or others) , but even then, generaly he comes) if he doesn´t come by mere naming him a snap of fingers is generaly the best cue for him to come.

Also, one time he almost bite someone (We are NEVER going to leave him a second alone with strangers. even if he loves them when we are with him. I know this now, and act accordingly) while I gave my back, then when I heard I turned to face Homero and shouted his name strongly and he immidiatly put himsel in "down" posittion, like he understood he did something wrong.

Humm, well, just talking a bit of my current relationship with him. I am sure he is responsive to me, but I would like him to be more affective and to know how can I be more affective towards him.

I think that is pretty much all. So, anxiously expecting your advices :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Pizza has a lot of stuff not so great for dogs so I would limit pizza as a treat. It is ok to use sometimes, but not all the time. I would go to the store and get a raw chicken breast and just bake it/boil it until its cooked. You can cut tiny little treats from this. It is healthy, relatively cheap if there is a sale, and dogs love it.

Try clicker training! It is a lot of fun and dogs really enjoy learning. Keep training sessions short 3-5 minutes. But do 4-5 a day randomly.
(What is Clicker Training? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw) If you can't find a clicker in Ecuador you can just use "Yes!" as a marker word. When your dog does something you like you say "Yes!" and give him a treat.

Ex. Teaching him to touch your hand: Hold out your hand so the palm is facing him. If he goes to sniff your hand, immediately say "Yes!" and give him a treat. Hold out your hang again. If he goes to sniff it, say "Yes!" and treat him. Repeat until he is consistently touching his nose to your palm. If he doesn't go to sniff your hand, rub a little piece of chicken on it to get the smell there, then hold it up. When he sniffs it, say "Yes!" and give him a treat. (Video showing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSJVwZybwo&feature=related)

Do you feed his breakfast and dinner in a bowl? Instead, take his breakfast and use it to train him. Don't just give it to him for free. You can have him sit, lay down, etc. Every time he does what you want you give him a piece or two of the kibble.

Some dogs don't like petting as much. Are you petting him really rough? Try scratching his chest lightly. Or, instead of rubbing him just try lightly massaging him slowly. Also, when you are petting him, give him a piece of his food or a piece of chicken. That way he associates petting with getting delicious food and you can train him to like petting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pizza has a lot of stuff not so great for dogs so I would limit pizza as a treat. It is ok to use sometimes, but not all the time. I would go to the store and get a raw chicken breast and just bake it/boil it until its cooked. You can cut tiny little treats from this. It is healthy, relatively cheap if there is a sale, and dogs love it.
Thanks for the advice! :) Yeah I think he likes chicken, actually, Bertha should know a lot about his likes xD. He is generaly spoiled with his food though. He rarely touches dog food unless yu mix it up with some meat juice or chicken juice or something juice of what we ate. Not sure if they keep doing that cause I am generaly not there when Bertha feeds him, but it should be interesting to find out.

Try clicker training! It is a lot of fun and dogs really enjoy learning. Keep training sessions short 3-5 minutes. But do 4-5 a day randomly.
(What is Clicker Training? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw) If you can't find a clicker in Ecuador you can just use "Yes!" as a marker word. When your dog does something you like you say "Yes!" and give him a treat.
I prefer "Yes" or another word I shall think up (probably in spanish and a monosilable too, the same as "yes!" :D ) because I like to feel I don´t need an external thing to ask my dog for the stuff I train him to. Just a preference, but yeah I´ve watched a couple of training videos with clcker in utube :) . I´ll ask about the training in a nother thread so it can be kept more specific, but you bet that´s something I am planing to do! :D

Ex. Teaching him to touch your hand: Hold out your hand so the palm is facing him. If he goes to sniff your hand, immediately say "Yes!" and give him a treat. Hold out your hang again. If he goes to sniff it, say "Yes!" and treat him. Repeat until he is consistently touching his nose to your palm. If he doesn't go to sniff your hand, rub a little piece of chicken on it to get the smell there, then hold it up. When he sniffs it, say "Yes!" and give him a treat. (Video showing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSJVwZybwo&feature=related)
Is this for him to let me touch him or somethign? he has no problem with me petting him the thing is that he doesn´t really enjoy it neither (or at least it appears that way sometimes). Sometimes I think he does though, but he never like moves the tail or the like. Generaly I don´t know if he stays because h likes the touch or merely cause he likes me putting attention to him and I am almost sure it is more the second than the first. It´s like he stays like with a look or sense of "I think he is doing something with me, so I shouldn´t leave him now" or something like that :redface:

About licking my hand, when he starts, he doesn´t really stops xD.

Do you feed his breakfast and dinner in a bowl? Instead, take his breakfast and use it to train him. Don't just give it to him for free. You can have him sit, lay down, etc. Every time he does what you want you give him a piece or two of the kibble.
Sounds like a good idea for when I start the training. Thanks! :) I´ll ask more into it soon in another thread :D

Generaly it is Bertha who feeds him, I am rarely around when that happens.

Some dogs don't like petting as much. Are you petting him really rough? Try scratching his chest lightly. Or, instead of rubbing him just try lightly massaging him slowly. Also, when you are petting him, give him a piece of his food or a piece of chicken. That way he associates petting with getting delicious food and you can train him to like petting.
that is a good idea the thing of association :) . Well no, I am reasonably sure I donç´t do it roughly, I just let my hand slide in his forehead to neck and continue I am sure lightly. he doesn´t seem disturbed at all, just kind of indiferent.

though I think he likes when I caress his chest, sometimes when I play with him, jumping and stuff, I like make him fall gently and Icaress his chest and he seems happy. though he never moves tail but he stays on that position for as long as I play with him xD.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
though I think he likes when I caress his chest, sometimes when I play with him, jumping and stuff, I like make him fall gently and Icaress his chest and he seems happy. though he never moves tail but he stays on that position for as long as I play with him xD.
Dogs usually stop wagging their tails when you pet them. He probably does like having his chest rubbed. Not all dogs like the same touch. My old dog liked really rough petting (he was big and had lots of fur), my new dog likes a gentle caress. And some dogs just aren't all that into petting.

I would see if you can take over at least some of the feeding from Bertha. Explain that you would like to train him some new things, but you need to use treats, so could she please cut back on the food she gives him for a while? Explain it as being best for the dog, not trying to take anything away from her. (She probably really enjoys her bond with the dog, so we don't want to cut her out entirely.)

I'd also ask you to rethink clicker training. I didn't see the point in it either, until I tried it, and it really works. It's totally amazing how much difference that little sound makes. You could try it, and if you don't like it, you don't have to continue.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Most dogs don't like to be patted, but they do like to be stroked or rubbed. They like to be scratched where there is an itch, around their ears, under their jaw, on their back at the base of their tail. Some like to be stroked or rubbed from their shoulder down their back to their tail, using a continuous motion with medium to light pressure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought some Ritz, would that be a good treat if he likes them? I also can use watermelon from time to time. Are these good?

About click training, I am now considering it. Which are the pros and cons? I do have that stuff used for spanish dancing that "clicks" (I don´t know if it is literaly the same, but sounds practicaly the same, so it should work right?) but idk. Which should be the first trainings?

(edit) : I decided to post this in the training section as I felt it would be going to off subject here, so I put it here: http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/108604-dog-training-basics-homero.html#post1144495 . :) (/edit)

The things I am currently interested in teaching him are:

sit

Down

"release" (so both sit and down can work as "stay" )

Come (he comes already, but I think a good strong word could be better for him to always come automaticaly, so I´d only use it when it is something he´ll like or something neutral. His name and snapping fingers generaly works for him coming (and general catching his attention) but I think a word more specific for cioming would be better. the come could also work as something like "follow" where he would follow me until I "release" and then he can go out do his stuff.

so before asking how to do this stuff (I am seeing plenty of videos, and thanks to some of you putting links on my I´ve been watching the channels and finding really great stuff! :) ) I would like to know WHICH should be the best order for them to start. Stuff like: don´t teach more than one of this at the time, and don´t move on till the next one until he knows th current pretty well. Or, yeah you can teach this two together. Or at least for a week only this one, and move to the other ones. Idk, general advics regarding order of teaching. I´ll do more specific threads in the training section for the hows, but I am asking here which should be the best order or way. I know whichever might b I am addapting it to Homero, as after all the important thing is that he learns, but I would like to have an idea of which things to look for and know when to move on or not to next tricks or whatever.

So hopefully I was somewhat clear xD. Again thanks for advices and waiting for more :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts