Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two trainable females, one small Shepard mix (wildish, not spayed) and one brown lab (domesticated, spayed). Both are extremely jealous for my attention and if I show attention to one, the other cowers out in defeat. They wrestle very well together and are quite equally matched, but I fear it is usually more of a serious fight for dominance rather than playful wrestling.

The Shepard was here first, and she will not share “her” yard. She recently broke skin and the lab has quite a gash on the left eye, I did not see this happen.

Please, how can I train these great dogs to live together peacefully?

TIA, Justin

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You have to separate the dogs. Two females can be real trouble and you are seeing this starting. This will escalate to a Bitch fight at some point and they will try to kill each other. If you go in to break the fight up you could be badly hurt. The two dogs could end up with one dead or both so injured they will both need to be euthanized.

I know that sounds brutal but it is the truth. Separate the two dogs permanently. That is the answer and I know you do not want to hear that answer.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sadly I agree with 3GSD4IPO. I live with two Rottweiler bitches who have to be kept separate because of this problem. One would be friends if she could. The other would kill her if she could. It's not a fun lifestyle and in retrospect I should have rehomed the younger dog when I first realized the problem - it would have been kinder for the friendly girl.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I agree that they need to be kept separated. Some dogs simply will not peacefully coexist, and the more you try, the worse the situation becomes. The hassle of crate and rotate and having at least two barriers between them at all times is way less expensive than vet bills from them trying to kill each other.

Reactions: jprevard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to disagree with the previous posts. Over the years I have had plenty of 2 female dog issues and I currently have one.I have a Hound Mix and a Jack Russel. Both are very tuff females. There is no issue when it comes to me. But when mom comes home from work OMG CUT THE CABLES ON THE FIGHT RING!! Now that being said, My wife and I sat down and agreed on a plan. Our dogs do not give me any issues because I am very level and stern.I dont yell at them but I am consistent and stern. Now here is how ( in our experience ) it works. My wife gently taps them behind the ear and says tshush no. And repeats tshush no. and again and again until one or the other or both calm down. Now this takes some time and did NOT work right away. It took some time but it worked. Now she has both dogs in her lap when she comes home from work and they are fine together. This is conditional training, it takes some time but with consistancy it works.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There's a saying that is all too often accurate... dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights. No, not every multiple bitch household has issues, an in some breeds, it's much more common for males to be same sex aggressive. That said, some dogs just don't like a housemate, for whatever reason, and thinking that being stern and "tshushing" at them will solve everything is niave, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. This is obviously a huge issue and I will be very careful. I cannot believe this is not common knowledge given the testimonies I've read here. I would never had tried to adopt two females had I known the risks. At the moment I am stuck with them but I think I must try to find a way out of the situation. I am utterly shocked that this isn't more well known given the carnage that can occur, including owners and kids. I thought I could train it out of them because they are such good dogs, but I guess I'll save my money. What a fiasco.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts