Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Bolting Out the Door

989 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LovedMyRotty 
#1 ·
My new dog Mia has this thing that every time I open the front door, she thinks that's her cue to go bolting out without a care in the world. I am not so much worried about her getting hit by a car but with the time it takes to get her back in the house! :mad:

Her history:
She was my neighbor's dog. She was chained outside to a clothes line pole for several hours each day. I highly doubt she had had any obedience. They decided that she jumps too much, I've heard the man yell for her numerous times with out her coming back but when one on one, she will sit and I taught her paw the first night I had her.

I know she's stuck in her ways right now and quite frankly, I don't blame her cuz she's never had the disapline and learned that nothing in life is free. So here I am, about to teach her that when I open the door, she needs to stay until I tell her otherwise!

The Plan!
I plan on tonight, to hook her to her leash with all other dogs out of the way. <I have 3 total> Getting her treats to listen and open the door and recorrecting her every time she bolts. I will call her back in and make her sit and stay, open the door and repeat until she gets it and when she does, give praise and treat. Try again.

Do you think it will work if consistant?

I will check back before I start to look for any tips and questions I can answer when I get home. She's really smart and I'm betting she's eager to please and with a little effort, I think I'll be able to break her bad habits so she'll be the best dog ever.

Am I on the right track? :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had this problem with my dogs untill I trained them to sit and stay. now they are only allowed to run out the door when I say their names.

I'll elaborate more.

When training Hawkeye at first he would shuve his head into the door space as it was opening trying to get out. I would close the door on him and say "EGH!" then I would say "Back!" and I wouldn't open the door again untill he backed up a bit, even if it ment me physicaly pushing him back.

Then we would repeat the excersize untill he would no longer try and dart out but insted would just sit a few feet away staring at me while I held the door wide open. At that point I just said "Hawkeye" and he was released to be allowed to run out the door.

#4 ·
The Plan!
I plan on tonight, to hook her to her leash with all other dogs out of the way. <I have 3 total> Getting her treats to listen and open the door and recorrecting her every time she bolts. I will call her back in and make her sit and stay, open the door and repeat until she gets it and when she does, give praise and treat. Try again.

Do you think it will work if consistant?
It will work with consistency. I would assume that the previous owner punished her for coming back to him (thought he was punishing for ignoring his "here" command), as this is probably the #1 screw up I see clueless owners make.

Bored dog get a taste of freedom = FUN!
Owner recalls dog = not so much fun.
Owner punishes dog when she finally does come back = way a lot of NO FUN.

Even if the "punishment" is merely a mild rebuke, it is a strong disincentive for the dog to avoid doing what she already doesn't want to do. Some dogs can be difficult to recall even without prior conditioning that makes it worse. Keep the dog tethered on a long line, and make every success an occasion for a new and interesting reward.

#5 ·
Thank you. I will be working with her after dinner on a lead.

The dog had no sense of recall for the neighbor. Yesterday when the pizza man was here, she bolted out the door and refused to come in til she played herself out with her sissy over at the neighbors. I did not scold her but it was not my idea of a fun time while she frolicked all over the yard. I said, MIA! Let's go home!! and she left willingly after 3 recalls and came in the house with me. I would like to become more appealing to her when I call her the first time. I want her to look at me and know when I say come, I mean COME! :D

It'll be a work in progress trying to undo any bad they may have done with her.

#7 ·
Our first training session was a success! I will continue on every day until it sinks in!

I am very impressed to say the least. I had her sit and then I said stay! I opened the door and she stood up so I closed it. I said sit and then stay, I opened the door and she stayed! <had ahold of her leash>

I did this a few more times while treating her for listening.

I then dropped the leash. I said sit and stay, opened the door and she stayed! I did it again, she stayed and I rewarded her with treats and praise!

I then took her leash off. <brave> I said sit and stay and opened the door and she sat there!

I praised her so much DH was lookin at me funny! She did so well! I am so proud of her!! :D

#8 ·
Good job Mia's Mum!
And thank you for giving this girl a home where she can enjoy her life, instead of being yelled at and tied up...
It's a lot of work teaching a dog that has had time to develop behaviours and routines so keep at it positively and I'm sure you will continue to make progress. Rotties are fantastically smart and great love dogs so you guys are well on your way to creating a sweet and loving relationship.

As for her recall...practice in the house first. Prep her by saying her name and giving her a treat, repeat several times. This will help teach her it is beneficial to her to look for you or towards you when you say her name (there's no point in using the recall command if she's not "listening"). Then you start by being a bit away from the dog and saying "Mia!", when she looks at you and is COMING towards you..say "come" and then reward her when she gets to you. Don't use the word unless she is already in motion towards you, and only say it ONCE. If you use the word more than once the dog will learn to only come after you've said it several times. Practice all over the house, calling her from different rooms and rewarding her each and everytime. Then you can move outside to slightly more distracting areas (slightly being key..lol). If you can get DH to help even better. Play dog ping pong calling her back and forth between you, rewards at both ends. Then use a long lead etc to create distance. Remember that each time you "up the ante" distraction or distance wise the rewards need to go up. You could probably use kibble indoors but outside the reward may need to be freeze dried liver or chicken or cheese. It's HARD WORK to leave something really interesting or rewarding (like her sister dog) and come to you. She needs to be paid for it.

If she happens to go too far and is not responding, you GO GET HER, don't keep calling "come". OR, you jump around like a maniac doing the "I"M MORE FUN" dance and when she looks at you (crazy human) start RUNNNG in the other direction to get her to chase you..when she is on her way, open your arms say COME and reward her very well. Building up a recall takes work, patience and being a total clown sometimes but it does work if you are consistent in making it rewarding, making sure it happens by going and getting her if you need to and by not ruining the cue.

This method made it possible for me to call Cracker off prey. It can be done and can be immensely rewarding to YOU as well...there is NOTHING like having your dog joyfully running at full tilt towards you when you call them! Though, be careful she doesn't barrel INTO you...that hurts (been there done that!),.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Thank you Maggi for the advice on recall. Sadly, DH does not train the dogs but he will be the first to complain that they do not listen to him and he get's miffed because they do what I say, usually when I say it!

Today, I got a list of things Mia did wrong. Two weeks ago, I got a list of things Ava did wrong. Today, Mia got into the pond and some how disconnected the hoses to the pump and drained it not once but twice according to him and killed 3 fish in the process. When they do wrong, I usually give the EGH, EGH! and they stop. <I trained Ava with that comand for NO> I told him to do that and he says he ain't gonna sound like a weiner goin EGH,EGH! Well, deal with it then!

I have no problems with Mia or Ava though. I find that the two of them are very intelligent dogs willing to please! I think if he'd take the time with them to show them that they should listen to him too, all would be fine when I go to work. He figures since I train the dogs, they should listen to him too but I don't think it works that way. Least the dogs don't feel that way! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.