Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 18 month old male Labrador/German Shorthair mix named Moose.

His intentions are sweet, he just wants to play and love people but is very enthusiastic and boisterious about it. "Horse Play" and "Rough Housing" are good descriptions of it, it's not in any way mean or agressive. He is very good natured, and will stop if someone says "ouch!" or whatever. I suppose it's fair to say he will walk over the top of someone to lick their face.

He really reminds me of how you see puppies in a littler playing together, only he's never outgrown that.

I don't want to see him become "robot dog", that's not what I have ever liked in animals. He is just a big goofy guy with a lot of energy and spirit and loves attention and playing. I don't want to take that from him. What I do want is to have family and friends come over without feeling like they stepped into a wrestling ring with my Moose.

I guess i'm looking for guidance and tips on how to strike the balance between good behavior and being himself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed him breakfast and let him out a couple times in the morning before I go to work.

He's home during the day while I'm at work and I assume he sleeps or plays some with his toys. He seems to behave himself.

When I get home he greets me and we spend a minute together, I let him out. We eat dinner, I give him fresh food and water. After dinner we play for a while in the back yard.

I usually have something to do on the computer for a bit, and sometimes we watch TV. For the most part we play some while I'm doing those things, or he sits by me.

He sleeps in the bedroom with me at night on the bed.

His daily excercise is a bit on the low end during the week. As fast and hard as he can run, I know I'm not in the kind of shape I would need to be in to wear him out before company comes over lol.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I feed him breakfast and let him out a couple times in the morning before I go to work.

He's home during the day while I'm at work and I assume he sleeps or plays some with his toys. He seems to behave himself.

When I get home he greets me and we spend a minute together, I let him out. We eat dinner, I give him fresh food and water. After dinner we play for a while in the back yard.

I usually have something to do on the computer for a bit, and sometimes we watch TV. For the most part we play some while I'm doing those things, or he sits by me.

He sleeps in the bedroom with me at night on the bed.

His daily excercise is a bit on the low end during the week. As fast and hard as he can run, I know I'm not in the kind of shape I would need to be in to wear him out before company comes over lol.
I'm going to assume not much training at all, I got to say he seems like a pretty nice pup if he stays home all day loose and you got no problems. I definitely think he would be fun to work, and well worth the time spent.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
By any chance does your play in the backyard after dinner involve some rough housing? If that's the case, then he's been taught to interact with people that way and you might want to change the game to fetch, Frisbee and/or Sniff and Find.
While you don't want a robot dog you certainly want one that has impulse control. That means some training....sitting politely for greeting and petting for example.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I would teach him just to sit politely when people come over, or people greet him, etc..He won't become a robot dog, but you and people will like him more if he is sitting calmy for affection, not forcing people to give it to him haha. You can keep him on leash when people are coming over and tell them not to give him attention if he is over anxious, and then you get a treat or such and just have him sit and stay, and don't let him jump up or get in peoples faces for licks.

Does he go for walks? You didn't mention anything about walking him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll have to pay attention to that TooneyDogs, you may have something there.

Pepper, he goes on walks a few times a week during the week. Another failing of mine.. :( I like your idea, and am going to practice that some this weekend with family when they come over.

His training has been pretty basic, but he listens fine as long as their isn't someting super exciting going on to go bonkers over. I'm the one at fault, because when he's calm he is just very very good and wonder why he's not like that all the time lol. I'll be looking through the posts and stickies, I'm considering getting some pro help on training him since that's really beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I put a lot of time into training my dog, and he shows not the slightest inclination of ever becoming a robot dog.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If training is FUN than there is not a chance of getting a robot dog, just one with good manners! Clicker training is a great outlet for mental and physical energy.

I also have to be perfectly honest here. Your boy is not getting enough exercise. Really. Labs are bouncy til they are three and pointers, well, they are built to run for miles and miles. He doesn't get a walk in the morning and then he hangs out all day doing pretty much nothing (boy are you lucky he is not a chewing maniac!) and then you come home and play a bit with him (get him revved) but don't burn any gas! So of course he is crazy to get more attention and playtime!

I understand that fitting in long walks can be hard. But, you have dog that requires most likely at least an hour a day of walks/fetch/training fun to be a well behaved dog at other times. Can you arrange for a dogwalker if you cannot do it? Otherwise you need to make some time for your dog's needs aside from food and company.

Use his brain, use that crazy athletic body and enjoy the dog that you will have when you fulfill his needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The points on the excercise are good, and yes he needs a better outlet. He's actually very active on weekends, but yes we need to do something during the week.

It's not magic that he doesn't really bother things when I'm away at work lol. I taught him at an early age to play with his toys and not with my things, and he has LOTS of toys. Moose always has at least one stuffed Kong toy, balls, stuffed animals, and old pair of socks, squeeky toys etc with him. He's pretty spoiled in the toy department.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sounds like he lacks training and excersise, which you already agreed. A well mannered dog doesnt have to be a robot. My dog has great manners, yet is no robot. he is a goofy guy when the time is right, which is 80% of the time, the rest of the time he does what is expected, no door bashing, no yanking on a leash, no barking ect.

I would start with training, dogs like to be trained, it is good for them, and you and your guests. It wears out their brain is a great outlet for bordem.

excersise is another great thing. Im no runner by far. I just cant do it. But I hike with the dog, take him swimming, through the ball ec which wears him out. excersise dosnt mean a 5KM run on a leash. If your dog is good with other dogs, i would try out a dog park.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts