Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am going to be boarding my little guys for 5 days starting Monday. I heard conflicting things about their beds. Should I bring a bed for each? I have heard that they can be destructive when boarding.
And a another question. What is a run in regard to a kennel?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Your boarding kennel should have a policy on bedding. If they allow you to bring bedding, I'd bring one for each dog. And I'd make sure it was a bed I really didn't care if I ever saw it again. Dogs can sometimes be destructive or have potty accidents on their bedding.

A run is usually an outdoor area attached to kennel/crate space. In our kennel building, each crate has a door that leads out to a concrete, fenced run that's 4x10 feet. Some kennels allow 24/7 access to a run, others may limit access to the outdoor run.

When I ran our kennel building as a boarding kennel, I didn't allow people to bring their own bedding for a variety of reasons (though I did make some exceptions in some circumstances). I also only allowed access to the runs at certain times for a variety of reasons...but our business was small and family run (basically just me and my hubby) so we ran things a bit different than a bigger kennel might.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Wvasco will be along shortly to fine tune my reply but, a run is usually an indoor/outdoor kennel. Some are just indoor kennels (approx. 6'x8'). With the indoor kennels, the staff will usually walk the dog a couple of times a day....a run eliminates the need for the staff to walk the dog as it's considerably larger (approx. 6' x 20').
Most places allow favorite toys, beds and special treats but, I've never taken their beds (they do just fine without them).

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Most places will allow you to drop in a view the facilities before you board your pets. However keep in mind quite alot of places will require you to set up an appointment time to come in.

As far a bedding goes, if they allow it then go ahead and bring thier beds. But don't be too attached to the bedding that you bring. As Lovemygreys said dogs can become destructive or mess on thier bedding, the kennel my also require you to write your name on the bedding with perminate marker. Our policy at the vet hospital I worked in was 'if it's too nice for you to write our name on then it's too nice to be left'.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Wvasco will be along shortly to fine tune my reply but, a run is usually an indoor/outdoor kennel. Some are just indoor kennels (approx. 6'x8'). With the indoor kennels, the staff will usually walk the dog a couple of times a day....a run eliminates the need for the staff to walk the dog as it's considerably larger (approx. 6' x 20').
Most places allow favorite toys, beds and special treats but, I've never taken their beds (they do just fine without them).
Tooney
I really got no tuning to your reply, as usual you got it all covered. I just have an additive as to what I do. (I'm gonna get beat up) Oh well, I don't allow beds or toys. Our kennel runs are 3 by 10ft and 4 by 12ft totally inside, Heated and AC, concrete floors with rubber mats as thick as a tire that cover the total floor inside each kennel run, so the dogs are not on the concrete.

My experience with beds is that some dogs know and treat their beds as their territory and end up peeing on the beds and then sleeping on the beds.

The toys unless large enough and hard type toys usually get caught between kennels with dogs fighting at the fence panels. Soft toys get chewed up and I do not want responsibility of dogs swallowing something that can harm them while they are at our kennel.

I always tell people ahead of time as to what they can or can't bring. It's not a dog Spa, it's an old school type kennel.

animalcraker
I don't even allow inspections anymore. through the years too many people make an appointment to view kennels at 9:00 in the morning and call up at 6:00 in the evening to tell me they got busy and are on there way out to check out the kennel. Now I tell them on phone just bring the dog at the very least if I have a dirty kennel they're not gonna leave the dog, at the very most no dog and I might get punched in the nose so I better have a clean kennel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts