Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface by saying my soon to be wife has a Maltese. I want my own dog, but one that will not eat her dog. I don't like small dogs either. We both like blueticks. I've been around them a lot, so I know they make great pets and are good with other dogs. What I don't know is how well they will do in a suburban setting. Will it be a disaster? I can come up with an educated guess, but I'd like to know of any personal experience anyone might have. Thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a dog that I think MIGHT be 1/2 Bluetick, and I've done a little research into the breed. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in, but if not:

Mostly I'd be concerned over noise. They're a dog bred to be loud and often, so a good 'hush' or 'quiet' will be important. Like most larger dogs, they'll need a lot of exercise which, in suburban settings, means multiple daily walks on a leash. They tend to have a high prey drive, so you're going to need a good fence. Other than that, any dog can thrive in the suburbs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We have an all-breed hound rescue in our city that gets lots of Blueticks, Walkers, Beagles, etc from down south and adopts them out up here to suburban, country, and city-residents alike.

I'm not sure I'd have one in an apartment complex, but -I agree with Gofygure- as long as you monitor the barking/baying and give adequate exercise, I think you'll be fine. :)

Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts