Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My family has put a deposit down on a Bluetick Coonhound to join our family as a pet. I did the research going in, but I am not second guessing our decision. Has anyone had success having this breed as a pet?

We are nervous about their natural urge to take off. We currently have a Black and Tan mix that is extremely well trained off leash and will respond to our call if he begins to chase a bunny etc. The last thing I want to do is have our dog take off and get hit, or not be able to give the dog what he needs.

Any advice welcomed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a breed that are bred to hunt, it’s a distinctive hunting dog that have a high need for hunting. If not used for hunting you should at least engage in activities like tracking trials and/or field trials. They need to be allowed to work and do what they’re bred for.

If you can’t offer that, then it’s not the right breed to get. What are you planning on doing with the dog?
We do a lot of outdoor activities, but no hunting, trials, etc. In all of my research, there are mixed messages. Some say with good excercise and attention they can be great house pets. We only have half acre and it is not fenced. Our B&T mix is great offleash so that is not an issue at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts