Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My Border Collie mix has really, really bad food allergies to corn, wheat, and soy. On top of that, she has a brain tumor and is getting up there in age.
Basically, she's getting picky with food, too.
She LOVES Blue Wilderness and does so amazingly on it, but recently the price of it went way up near me, and I just can NOT afford it anymore.
Any suggestions as to where/how I can get it cheaper? Any online stores?
Or, any similar foods that are more affordable?
I've looked into Wellness Core, Innova Evo, California Naturals.. I can't afford any of them right now.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How about Taste of the Wild? It's grain-free and reasonably affordable. Do you have a Tractor Supply Co in the area? They have TOTW for a good price. Otherwise you can run the store locator on their website.

If you have a CostCo membership, they have a grain-free food (Nature's Domain? I think) that's even more affordable.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd suggest trying Taste of the Wild or 4Health, both of which can be found at a Tractor Supply or feed store. There's also Costco's Kirkland brand which I'm pretty sure lacks corn, wheat, and soy (but you'll have to check).

Edit: Great minds, Willowy, great minds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We tried that, but she really didn't do too good on it. I think it was too oily for her.

I'd suggest trying Taste of the Wild or 4Health, both of which can be found at a Tractor Supply or feed store. There's also Costco's Kirkland brand which I'm pretty sure lacks corn, wheat, and soy (but you'll have to check).

Edit: Great minds, Willowy, great minds.
I LOVE your doberman! Anyways!
She's actually on 4health right now but for some reason she doesn't want to eat it.
I think we might try the lamb formula next month, but she's so funny.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hmm, I would have guessed Wilderness to be more "oily" than TOTW. Which flavor did you use? (there are 4) Duck tends to be greasy so if you were feeding her Wetlands that might have been it. My dogs seem to like High Prairie best.

My dogs think that a small spoonful of canned food and a cup or so of water mixed into their kibble is THE BEST THING EVAR!!! Canned food is expensive but I can get 6 servings out of one can by mixing like that. I let it sit and mix it around really well so all the flavors meld.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I vote TOTW, too. It sounds like the most similar food to what you've been feeding for the best price. We feed it because we couldn't afford something like Blue Wilderness either!

As for it being oil, that's actually what I like about it because my dog seems to need a good amount of fat in her diet to make her not itchy. That's why I usually only feed the High Prairie and Wetlands varieties. The other two (Pacific Stream and something lamb-based that I can't remember the name of right now) are lower in fat and protein, and Sydney didn't do as well on them for whatever reason. Might be that you'd just need to stick to the two lower protein/fat varieties.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can you get FROMM where you are? The FROMM Gold isn't bad, price wise--and it's a great food. The 4 Star Ingredients Formula is a bit better but also a bit more expensive. I believe the Gold is around $42 for the 30 lb bag here and I pay about $53 (after taxes) for the 30 lb bag of the Duck/Sweet Potato formula 4 Star.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts