Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Verus is not really a pet food company. It is a brand owned by a distributor so it can be sold cheap. No idea who makes it.

It is also sold in puppy mill stores and that doesn't say much good about the "company".

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I remember correctly, I believe Verus is made at Ohio Pet Foods. A co packer, and one of the good ones at that. Most dog food brands don't have their own factory and don't make their own food. They have someone else make it for them. Ohio pet is one of the co packers I'm actually pretty comfortable with. No foods made there have ever been recalled either.

It's been a while since I looked up anything on Verus so you will have to try asking them directly if this is still the co packer they use to be 100% sure.

Personally, I don't care where my pet food is sold. As far as I'm concerned, the company has nothing to do with what goes on in the store it's sold at. I still remember when people freaked out because NVI started being sold at Petsmart. I guess everyone has problems with different things though. To each their own.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Verus is not really a pet food company. It is a brand owned by a distributor so it can be sold cheap. No idea who makes it.

It is also sold in puppy mill stores and that doesn't say much good about the "company".
So why are they not a pet food company? Yes, the guy who owns it also is a partner at a distributor....but so what? Many small pet food companies are operated by a handful of employees and manufacturing is done by a co-packer. Does that make them a fake pet food company?

Cheap? Their grain free chicken based product sells for over $80...similar to Orijen and it only has 24% protein (Orijen is 38%)

As for being sold at a store that sells puppy mill dogs saying something about a company's ethics...seriously? Those dogs have to eat too, at least there is a better choice than Science Diet or Royal Canin etc.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Cheap? Their grain free chicken based product sells for over $80...similar to Orijen and it only has 24% protein (Orijen is 38%)
I remember feeling so guilty when I first got Sid, thinking I could never afford to give her good food. Blue Buffalo and Wellness were the first "good foods" I encountered and they became my baseline idea of what quality cost. They're so overpriced it seems sort of criminal...but I think it's a situation where you pay for them to market to you. I don't see ads for the foods I feed now, all glossy in magazines or on television, but those two brands advertise a ton.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts