Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mom, my friend who lives about two hours away from me (we get to see her as a special thing and she gets to come and visit us and sleep over!) and myself, were at a Florida animal rescue called Dogs & Cats Forever. We saw a beautiful Golden Retriever who looked so depressed T_T all the other dogs, event the dog with one eye o_O was up and about and barking, but this dog was just depressed.

So this dog we just ignored, but we said was pretty because my mom loves Golden's - we had a Golden that died of cancer back in 2004 when he was 12 (Rusty). Thing is, my mom is a nurse, and she works in the ER, and she has a friend whose a Surgical Technologist - the woman, Ms Cheryl, hasn't had a dog in 30 years, and she wanted a Golden Retriever. Mom explained to Ms Cheryl that Golden's are non-aggressive dogs, probably one of the most non aggressive breeds out there. Eventually Ms Cheryl was told that Bailey (original name Blue) was aggressive because someone had some toy stuck in his throat, and they tried to get it out, and then he lunged at his old owner and bit them - then they took him to Dogs & Cats Forever, and eventually when the handlers at the shelter tried to deal with him, Bailey tried to bite them. Either way when Ms Cheryl was handling Bailey he was super sweet.

Though she asked the shelter 'what do I feed my dog, I haven't had a dog in 30 years,' and the shelter recommended Blue Buffalo the moment mom said that I kinda laughed, because BB is manufactured by Diamond and I know that people have had some complaints about it... So, she pays 55$ for a 40 pound bag (crazy right?) and she gets it to Bailey, he eats it, and he gets a HORRIBLE RASH.

Turns out he's allergic to it, and he scratched his ears so badly that they bled O.O'

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to include that story ^^; But the thing is, if we had never gone to Dogs & Cats Forever and saw Bailey that day, he would have never gotten adopted, so yeah - and Ms Cheryl said we can see him anytime! Mom said I might get to see him Friday evening, since she's off work! Also, I'm going to recommend to Ms Cheryl this site along with a few others that I've come across so that way if she has any questions she can just join the site and ask :3.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Blue Buffalo is NOT manufactured by the Diamond company. It's manufactured by CJ Pets, to my knowledge.

Blue Buffalo is a good food recommendation. You could do a lot worse. Sounds like Bailey had an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the food. That doesn't mean the food sucks. It means Bailey should eat something without that ingredient, whether a different formula of BB or a different brand, doesn't matter.

If the dog does well on the food, $55 for a 40# bag is not unreasonable. (Although I think BB comes in 30# bags? I've always thought BB a bit overpriced.) I pay $45 for a #30 bag of Gyp's food, roughly.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I've never fed BB but I've read where some dogs have gotten sick on it. Others do well.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Like said before. Devolving an allergy doesn't mean bad food. Taste of the Wild is a really great food that many recommend, my Royce was fine on it, I tried a different flavor, and we ended up at the vet for antibiotics to treat an allergic reaction. So, I'm not sure what it was that made him sick, but we switched brands and I still recommend TOTW to others and I'm thinking about doing a little more research and going back to it, just avoid the kind we got.

What is Bailey eating now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts