Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not not sure if anyone's asked this or not but my little Henry Bear (shih tzu, 2yo) has wicked tear stains and has had them since I rescued him in June and switched him from the rescue's suggested Science Diet to Blue Buffalo Small Breed Chicken and Rice.

Has anyone else had this experience?

HB and I were at the vet today for a hot spot check up and I was shocked to hear her recommend Angel Eyes after the negative online comments about it containing antibiotics.

Any suggestions or points to threads in a helpful direction are much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you want something "natural" I have heard people use apple cider vinegar to clear up tear stains. Haven't tried it myself as it has never been a problem for my dogs but might be worth reading up on.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Grains seem to cause excessive brown tear staining in dogs. Maybe switch to a grain free kibble and see if that helps? I've noticed a reduction of tear staining ever since I started feeding raw to my dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It could be something in the food all right. Max used to have eye boogers all the time on kibble and that went away on raw. When we are weak and give him something grainy he gets them again. It isn't necessarily grains, sardines give him both eye boogers/massive eye stains AND seriously messed up ears. I will be trying him on cooked potato and other starchy veggies next. He is on raw food and I hope he never needs to use carbs for calories but if he ends up not tolerating fat then I would need to give him carbs for calories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts