Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Blue also panics with the AC... what can I do?

703 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  KirstenW 
#1 ·
It's gotten hot here and we've put in our window ACs and Blue acts almost the same as with thunderstorms. Rapid breathing, panting, shivering. She's spent the last couple of days often under one of the beds.

The funny thing is though that it's not all the time, but maybe she's less panicky when the TV is on or people are talking (we are five, with three young kids so the noise level is high).

How can I help her? Turning it off is not an option (our house gets super hot in no time). I'd rather not medicate her all summer either.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing you live somewhere outside the US?
No am in the US. Never heard fireworks before July 3rd and then only on occasion (fire crackers). She's been anxious over the past two days, not eating when the food is put out and hiding on and off under our bed which is on the third floor (that AC is the quietest and not always on). The only thing that changed is that the ACs are on.

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just bought a ThunderShirt after the last thunderstorm. It didn't seem to make a difference but then I checked outside and the weather was bearable so I just shut off the living room AC. It took a few minutes for her to calm down but she did. I think I will go out and get some Bach Flower Rescue to see if that will help her.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention that when we got her six months ago, she was very wary of passing any house with a vent (from dryers or heating) and would make a huge detour around them, with her tail tucked in. I made a point of coaxing her closer with treats and she calmed somewhat, but that noise seems to mean something scary to her. I wish I knew how to desensitize her - the usual way of increasing the volume of the sounds won't work with the ACs :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.