Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a 1 year old bloodhound that's in perfect health, although he seems to have a very sensitive stomach. He eats Taste of the Wild-Bison (started on Blue Buffalo when he was young, it had too much protein and was giving him diarrhea and weight loss) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and what I should do. He is not in any visible stomach pains, or distress but he frequently has extremely watery/runny poops for no reason. He does make extremely healthy poops in between these episodes

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Definitely try a different protein source/brand. My old GSD mix has the most sensitive stomach on Earth, so I know where you're coming from. I rotated between Wellness fish, Blue Wild (something like that) duck and TOTW lamb and rice.

Switch very, very, very slowly.

I rotated between protein sources to prevent him from developing allergies to proteins, which can happen if they're exposed to one protein source for too long.

Be sure to look at other food and water sources, too. Treats and food he gets "accidentally" count, too. Water I mention because the tap water in my city is heavily chlorinated, and any time Muggsy got into it, like from the toilet, he got the runs. I buy bottled spring water to give my dog, though my new dog has a stomach of steel so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts